Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com> on 2006/11/07 00:16:47 UTC

beta 2 release - slight delay

Just as a FYI, I've a full schedule for a couple days.  Since there
seems to be a flurry of activity, I'm thinking of waiting until
mid-week then cutting the release.  We could branch right now of
course,  (or even branch from this past Saturday's revision) but I'm
personally happy to take advantage of recent bug fixes in the beta2.

WILL

--
Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: beta 2 release - slight delay

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 11/6/06, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> "Will Glass-Husain" <wg...@forio.com> writes:
>
> Whenever you feel ready. It's a beta, so I expect it to have some
> rough edges. I don't update the docs e.g., I want to keep that for the
> beta -> rc transition. I feel that we might be ready for RC two weeks
> after the beta.

agreed, problems with the beta are fine.  and since i'm still
concerned about some of the slight API changes for directives, here's
my preferred options:

a) push the beta out asap and strongly encourage advanced users
(especially those who might write their own directives) to test it, so
we smoke out problems as soon as possible

or

b) back out the change to the directives API and proceed at whatever
pace is convenient.

basically, if B.C. is a goal of this release, i'd like to know if this
is going to be a problem sooner than later.

> (A quick side note: We might be "ready to release" right around
> christmas. After listening to Sally's talk @ AC and the podcast, I
> think that this would be bad from a PR point of view. I'd suggest that
> in that case we do another RC and then release in the second week of
> January when the holidays are over.)

sounds good.  i'm gearing up to put time in my schedule for some
veltools work.  maybe veltools 1.3 can beat Velocity 1.5...
...maybe...

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.