Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Rene Levantinh <rl...@sqldesktop.com> on 2007/10/20 17:38:06 UTC

upgrade from 10.2

Hello,

  Do I need to upgrade old Derby 10.2  database to use with the current
Derby 10.3  release ?

  Thanks

 Rene

Re: upgrade from 10.2

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Rene Levantinh wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  Do I need to upgrade old Derby 10.2  database to use with the current
> Derby 10.3  release ?

Yes, there are two levels of upgrade:

"Soft upgrade" (database format remains at 10.2 level, so you can still use
10.2, and use 10.3 with some limitations)

and

"Hard upgrade" (database format is upgraded, so there is no turning back to 10.2
after upgrade, but you get to use all the new features of 10.3).

More info in this blog entry:

http://davidvancouvering.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-upgrade-derbyjava-db-database.html

You can also read about this in the Derby 10.3 Developer's Guide, available from

http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html#docs_10.3

--
John