Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Hari Kannan <ha...@citrix.com> on 2013/01/03 00:27:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] Shared NFS Zone-wide (primary) Block Storage

Hello All,

I wish to propose Shared NFS Zone-wide (primary) Block Storage CloudStack - I have added some details here (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Shared+NFS+Zone-wide+(primary)+Block+Storage)  along with a JIRA ticket 724

Please review and comment

Hari Kannan

Re: [DISCUSS] Shared NFS Zone-wide (primary) Block Storage

Posted by Marc Cirauqui <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

That would be nice, but, just a thought, why just NFS? Why not iSCSI o
"PreSetupt" too?

thx

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
On 01/03/2013 12:27 AM, Hari Kannan wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I wish to propose Shared NFS Zone-wide (primary) Block Storage CloudStack - I have added some details here (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Shared+NFS+Zone-wide+(primary)+Block+Storage)  along with a JIRA ticket 724
>
> Please review and comment

I've been thinking about this and IF we do this, shouldn't we make sure
all primary storages are supported?

I'm also looking for a valid reason for doing this. Why not expand your
cluster size?

Wouldn't doing this break the whole idea of zones, pods and clusters?
Since they all share the same resources you can have multiple clusters
going down (or even your whole zone) by just one component failing.

I know this is the responsibility of the guy who builds the CloudStack
cluster, but still, why have more clusters when they share the same
primary storage? You just add one SPoF spread out over multiple clusters.

Wido

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Sure, that makes sense, Alex. If someone wants to create a zone-wide
primary storage for data volumes, then that data volume can be migrated
between VMs in separate clusters.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Hey Wido,

Welcome back!

We've seen a cluster's management layer went bad but the storage did not.  I think if you look at this feature as every primary storage is zone wide, your concern is justified.  However, if you look at it as someone wants to be able to do root disk on clustered-based primary storage but ability to move data disk around to different vms, this is makes a lot of sense to implement.  I echo Edison's message.  It's about the enabling the capability and let others to worry about usage and scaling.

--Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Shared NFS Zone-wide (primary) Block Storage

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

+1 It should support all.  What we can do is say in the feature which technology may happen first.

--Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Shared NFS Zone-wide (primary) Block Storage

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.