Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org> on 2016/10/27 22:11:07 UTC

Tweaking the IntelliJ and Eclipse formatters

I'd like to propose making a few changes to our IntelliJ and Eclipse
formatters as well as the Eclipse importorder (all in etc/):

1) increase max line length (100 is way too short)
2) make (hopefully minor) changes to make the two formatters more
consistent with each other
3) change Eclipse importorder to follow the google style as closely as
possible
4) update the import ordering in IntelliJ formatter to match Eclipse

The goal is to make both formatters produce the exact same results
including ordering of imports while maintaining them to be as close to the
google style as possible. Right now if you run IntelliJ formatter, the
result will fail the spotlessCheck. We may have to make some small
compromises in our adherence to the google style but I think that's
reasonable in order to get the formatters both working consistently.

The gradle spotless tasks currently use the Eclipse formatter. One further
change would be to add the Eclipse importorder file for spotless to use.

-Kirk

Re: Tweaking the IntelliJ and Eclipse formatters

Posted by Jared Stewart <js...@pivotal.io>.
1) +0
2) +1
3) +1
4) +1

- Jared

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@pivotal.io>.
FYI, I haven't had any time to work on this further and probably won't have
time this week. Looks like there's a newer, more active thread on this
anyway.

Thanks,
Kirk

Posted by Kenneth Howe <kh...@pivotal.io>.