Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/06/16 20:01:15 UTC

[5.0.3] Tag soon, 5.0 release plan

Hi,

I am nearly done with the features I wanted to add for 5.0.3 (and the
changelog is pretty big), so I plan to tag 5.0.3 at the end of this week
(friday, but more likely saturday).

I don't know if there are some more major features that people would
like to see in 5.0.x (if that's the case, please add items to the status
page in the docs), but as far as I am concerned, 5.0.x is nearly feature
complete. What's missing is better docs, and lots of tweaks and fixes.

Because of that, I plan to write a release plan for Tomcat 5.0.x,
outlining a tentative schedule and objective for betas and eventually a
stable release (which as a reminder won't happen until the new specs are
final).

Note: the rationale behind the "no final before the specs" is beacause:
- if the specs change and modify a behavior that was introduced in the
new specs, we'd have to break our API / behavior, which is not really
acceptable
- it's a chicken and egg problem: if there's no spec, people will
(likely) prefer using Tomcat 4.1.x, and so Tomcat 5.0.x wouldn't get
enough testing to warrant the "stable" label
Given the last point, the best IMO would be to make a "RC"-like release
when the specs are released, followed a few weeks later by a final.

Comments ?

Remy

Re: [5.0.3] Tag soon, 5.0 release plan

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Tim Funk wrote:
> +1. Sounds good. I'll try to keep track of common topics from
> tomcat-user land to indicate what documentation areas need most help.
>
> A feature I want to add (post tagging and haven't started yet) is
> integrating lucene into the tomcat-docs.

Done in a convincing way, that looks like a very good idea :)

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
+1. Sounds good. I'll try to keep track of common topics from tomcat-user
land to indicate what documentation areas need most help.

A feature I want to add (post tagging and haven't started yet) is integrating
lucene into the tomcat-docs.

-Tim