Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com> on 2009/08/14 01:06:34 UTC

"disclaimer of warranty" license issue with artifact downloads?

For vendors that have software downloads (freely available to anyone) from
their website with a click-through "disclaimer of warranty" that there is no
intended warranty covering the use of the product, how do we provide similar
"legal comfort" to them to enable hosting the artifacts in Maven Central?

Obviously, the <licenses> POM element exists with a <url> element to point
to the license.  Has this sufficed in the past?  What are the options?

RE: "disclaimer of warranty" license issue with artifact downloads?

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
Yes, I was also thinking of the Sun jar issue - part of it being the click
through license, and part being the license stated that no one else could
redistribute the artifacts.

A click through option on the repo would be "perfect" for the vendor I'm
talking to.
Their issue is the need for the legal disclaimer to be seen.

Of course, a click-through feature would really interrupt the auto-download
feature, requiring an interactive one the first time, but would satisfy this
type of need.

> For vendors that have software downloads (freely available to anyone) from
> their website with a click-through "disclaimer of warranty" that there is
no
> intended warranty covering the use of the product, how do we provide
similar
> "legal comfort" to them to enable hosting the artifacts in Maven Central?
>
> Obviously, the <licenses> POM element exists with a <url> element to point
> to the license.  Has this sufficed in the past?  What are the options?

IIRC one of the reasons we can't distribute the older Sun jars is
because of their click-through license.  So no, if that's a
requirement, just putting a url to the license in the pom isn't
sufficient.

There was some talk of implementing a click-through for the Maven
repo, but I don't think it ever happened.  In that particular case,
Sun changed the license on the newer binaries.

--
Wendy

Re: "disclaimer of warranty" license issue with artifact downloads?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Create a plugin and tell people that they must configure it as an
'extension', and make it do the click-through thing.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Jeff

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
Ha ha, yeah...and how do we guarantee that in court!? ;-)  Getting their
lawyers to buy off on that would be the issue... :-)

Well, this scenario is a US company with a commercial product, with their
own license, not GPL, et al.  The tools/clients, etc. are freely
downloadable from their website.  I've inquired about getting one or more of
them synced to Maven Central.  Over the past couple of weeks, they've come
to the point of "yeah, ok, we like that" with the last hurdle of "so how do
we get the users to have seen the disclaimer before using?".  Hence, I don't
know how, other than the <license> element or some type of click-through
feature...

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.