Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org> on 2013/02/09 06:56:30 UTC

Http Async Client stability for production use

Hi All

We are in the process of migrating our code to the latest versions of
HttpCore / NIO and I was wondering how stable the Async Client is right
now for possible production use. Should we expect many more releases /
major API changes until it becomes GA, or are we close to a GA being in
the 3rd beta?

regards
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
AdroitLogic, http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: Http Async Client stability for production use

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 12:45 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi Oleg
> >> If you do no not need a full blown HTTP client with proxy, auth and
> >> cookie support stick to HttpCore for a few more months.
> I see some changes between HttpCore/NIO 4.2.x and 4.3.x as well and I am
> trying to decide if migrating directly to 4.3-alpha1 would be a good
> idea at this point.. Could you give me your views on the stability of
> 4.3.x and its production readiness?

Asankha

I just recently discovered an area in HttpCore NIO that needs
optimization. Currently HttpCore NIO fragments HTTP packets into too
many TCP fragments which adversely affects performance. The fix is not
going to be simple potentially affecting all content encoders and likely
to destabilize things somewhat. I would recommend sticking to 4.2 until
4.3 goes BETA.

Cheers

Oleg

Re: Http Async Client stability for production use

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Oleg
>> If you do no not need a full blown HTTP client with proxy, auth and
>> cookie support stick to HttpCore for a few more months.
I see some changes between HttpCore/NIO 4.2.x and 4.3.x as well and I am
trying to decide if migrating directly to 4.3-alpha1 would be a good
idea at this point.. Could you give me your views on the stability of
4.3.x and its production readiness?

thanks
asankha

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Oleg
> I think HttpAsyncClient 4.0-beta3 is quite stable as far as I can tell
> by feedback from users. There has been only one serious bug reported
> (HTTPASYNC-34, fixed in trunk). A few months back CXF project chose it
> over all other HTTP clients as their default async client side HTTP
> transport after extensive evaluation. They seem to be OK.
Thats great to hear!
> Having said that I have been doing a lot of refactoring on it in my
> local repository to improve performance and am also planning to migrate
> it to HttpCore 4.3 API. There will be a period of instability ahead and
> I do not expect it to go GA soon. If you do no not need a full blown
> HTTP client with proxy, auth and cookie support stick to HttpCore for a
> few more months.
Ok.. we will stick to HttpCore right now, as we do not need extensive
proxy or cookie support. However authentication support is something we
would like to utilize, especially the new NTLM support, SPNEGO and
Kerberos. I will ping the list if I need assistance incorporating those in.

thanks and regards
asankha

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 11:26 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We are in the process of migrating our code to the latest versions of
> HttpCore / NIO and I was wondering how stable the Async Client is right
> now for possible production use. Should we expect many more releases /
> major API changes until it becomes GA, or are we close to a GA being in
> the 3rd beta?
>
> regards
> asankha

Hi Asankha