Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by P Sreenivasa Rao <ps...@cmcltd.com> on 2001/05/25 15:38:13 UTC

difference between RMI call and Webservice

Hi all,
can anybody explain the difference between RMI call and Webservice like plus points and minus points etc.I konw that RMI is for only Java calls.But Can we compare CORBA or RMI with Webservice.I'm new bee to this webservices.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sreenivas,CMCLtd,India

Re: Virus Warning

Posted by Brett McLaughlin <br...@newInstance.com>.
Sorry.. I'm cleaning that up right now... too many stinking mailing lists :(

-Brett
> If you post to this list and get a response from "Brett McLaughlin" with
an
> attachment, do not open it (at least, if you are on a Wintel machine).
The

Virus Warning

Re: difference between RMI call and Webservice

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@computer.org>.
Anne covers the marshalling and transport very nicely.  I would add a couple
of things.  First, RMI is implemented only for Java.  Web services (and
CORBA and COM) can be used from multiple programming languages.  Second,
RMI, CORBA and COM have several capabilities that Web Services do not, such
as remote activation and objects-by-reference.  Third, Web services are not
as completely standardized as RMI, in that while Sun has defined the
capabilities of RMI, Web services standards (SOAP, WSDL, UDDI, etc.) are
still being written and/or approved.  Fourth, FWIW, Microsoft produces
platforms and tools for Web services.

Scott

Posted by P Sreenivasa Rao <ps...@cmcltd.com>.
Hi Thomas ,
Thank you for your immediate and valuable reply.