Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> on 2003/01/22 12:30:56 UTC

[PROPOSAL] New terminology

Hi,

I have been thinking about my "Spines" proposal and as Chris said, it
was a bit too spiky! :-)

I've found this nice picture: http://ckart.com/rich/cactmorph.jpg

Which has given me the following idea:

* Our cactus framework = Pistil
* Our cactus front ends, i.e. what goes around the framework = Petals

Thus, I would like to propose to name "Petal" our front-ends: Ant,
Eclipse, Maven, etc.

Comments?

-Vincent

Re: [PROPOSAL] New terminology

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
Vincent Massol wrote:
> [...]

Well, project names are different IMO... here we're trying to put a
label on a collection of related modules.

>>I'd still favor a simple
>>'integration' directory, and generally just talking about
>>Cactus/Ant-Integration, Cactus/Eclipse-Integration, etc.
>>
>>I also don't really like the sound of the names 'Ant Petal', 'Eclipse
>>Petal', etc... In retrospect, I'd even favor the original term
>>'Front-End' :-)
>>
>>I guess I'm -0 (if I understand correctly, I'm not totally positive
>>about the proposal, but won't block it).
>>
>>Still a nice picture though :-)
>
> ouch. I was so happy with the name. Julien also likes it. Let me try to
> convince one last time... :-) I especially like it for 3 reasons:

Hey, you don't need to convince me. If you and Julien like the name, and
as long as we don't rename documentation to 'Areole' or 'Bud', I'm okay ;-)

> 1/ It isn't really hard to explain. Actually, the idea is to present a
> diagram such as the one attached on the cactus web site front page (it's
> a first draft and can be improved a lot). The idea is to have a
> representation of http://ckart.com/rich/cactmorph.jpg

Okay.

> 2/ because it is unambiguous. Front-ends/integration/tools/etc are
> English words and means different things for different persons. "Petal"
> has to be defined, yes, but then we can easily talk about "Petals" in
> emails, chat, articles, etc. and we all know what it means.
 >
> 3/ I think it helps giving an identity/cohesion to Cactus. We are in
> effect building a Cactus world.

Hmm, that's what I don't really like. I prefer labelling/describing
things in as-familiar-and-simple-as-possible terms. What if the Ant team
decided to call targets 'hills' instead (in lack of a better analogy)?

Introducing a new language/terminology has the side effect of raising
the barrier to entry.

> 4/ It is easy to imagine petals around the core (Pistil) and the
> attached diagram does really represent a core with petals attached to
> it.
>
> [Slightly OT]: If you really think further Petals are what really
> protects the Pistil and could represent the core Cactus front-ends.
> Sepals are further outside on the plant and could represent external
> integrations (such as JUnitEE, StrutsTestCase, JBuilder, TogetherCC,
> etc). Ok, my imagination is going wild here! :-)

[I actually thought 'petal' refers to the whole flowerish "thing" on the
Cactus... well]

I see where you're heading, but I'm concerned that we're building a
terminological system on a metaphor that basically comes from a fairly
arbritrary project name (Cactus). I think using the metaphor would be
nice for an overview on the front page, but trying to apply the derived
terms to the entire project will be too much.

Ugh, hope that last paragraph was somehow understandable ;-)
Let me try to simplify: For example, using 'Pistil' instead of just
'Framework' would be taking the metaphor too far. Explaining the role of
the framework by comparing it to a pistil would be okay. All IMHO of course.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de

RE: [PROPOSAL] New terminology

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.

Thanks

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been thinking about my "Spines" proposal and as Chris said, it
> was a bit too spiky! :-)
>
> I've found this nice picture: http://ckart.com/rich/cactmorph.jpg
>
> Which has given me the following idea:
>
> * Our cactus framework = Pistil
> * Our cactus front ends, i.e. what goes around the framework = Petals
>
> Thus, I would like to propose to name "Petal" our front-ends: Ant,
> Eclipse, Maven, etc.
>
> Comments?

Well, this doesn't address my concern about having a name that needs to
be explained before it's understood :-P ... I'd still favor a simple

/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de

RE: [PROPOSAL] New terminology

Posted by IAS <ia...@apache-korea.org>.
The picture looks impressively beautiful,and I like the name very much as
well. :-)

Lee, Changshin (Korean name)
IAS (International name)
               Tel: 82-31-7797-189 (Direct)
               Fax: 82-31-7797-115
               Company Email: iasandcb@tmax.co.kr
               Personal Email: master@iasandcb.pe.kr
               Company Web Site: http://www.tmax.co.kr
                   Personal Web Site: http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr
Senior Researcher & Java Technology Evangelist
JCP member - http://jcp.org/en/participation/members/L
R&D Institute
Tmax Soft, Inc.
JCP member - http://jcp.org/en/participation/members/T
5F, KEB BD, 358-1 Yatop-Dong, Pundang-Gu,
Sungnam-Shi, Kyunggido, Korea 463-828