Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by TBrowder <tb...@cox.net> on 2004/03/07 23:00:53 UTC

Unsuccessful Compile of Subversion 1.0.0

After reading David Heath's msg, I looked and found my httpd and svnadmin
were not using Berkeley db-4.2.

I've tried reinstalling Berkeley DB 4.2.52.  Then reinstalling httpd-2.0.48,
applying patch pointed out by David (patch found in subversion FAQ under
troubleshooting installations under *NIX).

After running configure commands from FAQ:

  $ configure \
  --enable-dav \
  --enable-so \
  --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2
  --with-dbm=db42

it (configure) fails with:

  configure: error: Berkeley db4 not found
  configure failed for srclib/apr-util

What now?

Thanks.

Tom Browder

Re: Unsuccessful Compile of Subversion 1.0.0

Posted by Lars Immisch <la...@ibp.de>.
Hi,

> After reading David Heath's msg, I looked and found my httpd and svnadmin
> were not using Berkeley db-4.2.
>
> I've tried reinstalling Berkeley DB 4.2.52.  Then reinstalling httpd-2.0.48,
> applying patch pointed out by David (patch found in subversion FAQ under
> troubleshooting installations under *NIX).
>
> After running configure commands from FAQ:
>
>   $ configure \
>   --enable-dav \
>   --enable-so \
>   --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2
>   --with-dbm=db42
>
> it (configure) fails with:
>
>   configure: error: Berkeley db4 not found
>   configure failed for srclib/apr-util
>
> What now?

Try putting /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib into /etc/ld.so.conf (and run
ldconfig).

Otherwise the configure script may fail because the .so couldn't be
found. I had that problem and it has been reported on this list by other
people.

- Lars

Re: Unsuccessful Compile of Subversion 1.0.0

Posted by David Heath <dg...@btopenworld.com>.
Hi Tom,

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 23:00, TBrowder wrote:
> After running configure commands from FAQ:
>
>   $ configure \
>   --enable-dav \
>   --enable-so \
>   --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2
>   --with-dbm=db42
>
> it (configure) fails with:
>
>   configure: error: Berkeley db4 not found
>   configure failed for srclib/apr-util

That's what I was getting. I re-ran apache's configure like this:

$ configure \
  --enable-dav \
  --enable-so \
  --with-berkeley-db \
  --with-dbm=db42

and it seemed to work ok. It automatically looks in
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2 by default.

Dave

If you wanted to say something about .svn, read this (Was Another Thought on .svn Size)

Posted by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi>.
tbrowder@cox.net wrote:
> Perhaps another way to get the same functionality as now without the
> size is to use a lazy .svn:

> PS. I apologize if I've appeared to steal someone else's ideas.
> I've tried to read all posts on this thread but may have missed
> something.

I believe searching the issue tracker might prove fruitful. Or older
list archives. However, finding the articles might not be at all
trivial, so no blame for that.

Anyway, I will try to enumerate here the ideas and issues regarding
.svn that I recall:

 * .svn directory is too big
   - get rid of text-base (issue #525)
     - not have one at all
     - create text base on-demand
   - compress files (issue #908)
 * .svn directory contents
   - rename files to some hash name or similar
   - combine files to a single file or database
   - diddle read-onlyness (issue #1294)
 * .svn directory name or existence
   - allow customization of directory name
   - store directory somewhere else (issue #707)

I only spent a few moments gathering the issue numbers, but there are
several more there.

Perhaps I am overly pessimistic at the moment, but lately I have seen
very little new being said over those subjects.

-- Naked

If you wanted to say something about .svn, read this (Was Another Thought on .svn Size)

Posted by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi>.

Another Thought on .svn Size

Posted by TBrowder <tb...@cox.net>.
At the risk of getting fired at, the size of the .svn directory has me
somewhat concerned, too.  The way I'm used to doing things involves a lot of
work on usually just a limited subset of a large working copy.

Perhaps another way to get the same functionality as now without the size is
to use a lazy .svn:

At checkout the .svn directory gets a list of signatures of all files
(something like a checksum, see the project 'makepp' at sourceforge.net).
Any svn operations first compare the signatures to see if there are any
changes and, if so, then get the pristine copy of that file to put into the
.svn directory and procede as usual.  At commit time, the signature could be
renewed and the pristine copy in .svn removed again.

As someone suggested, there might be several methods the administrator or
user could choose for himself:  (1) full .svn as now, (2) something like my
suggestion, or (3) something else--by choice at checkout (and of course able
to be changed during the lifetime of the workspace).

Tom Browder

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@localhost.localdomain>.
"TBrowder" <tb...@cox.net> writes:
> [...]

Maybe take db-4.0 out of your /etc/ld.so.conf (and rerun ldconfig)
temporarily during the builds?

Re: Re: Unsuccessful Compile of Subversion 1.0.0

Posted by TBrowder <tb...@cox.net>.
> Did you apply the same patch to both httpd-2.0.48/srclib/apr-util and
> subversion-1.0.0/apr-util and reconfigure before rebuilding?
> I always do something really thorough, like:
>
>    $ patch -p0 < blahblah && make distclean  && ./configure
>
> -Karl

Yes, but I can't get past the httpd compilation.  It still links with db-4.0
inspite of the patch, the --with-berkeley-db and --with-dbm options.

Tom

Re: Unsuccessful Compile of Subversion 1.0.0

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@localhost.localdomain>.