Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/05 03:44:58 UTC

Facebook Likes Almost Tripled Since February

Hey Everyone,

Awesome realization, I was documenting some changes to our social profiles
(screen captures), and since February 8th, 2013 we went from just over
3,500 likes to just under 9,400 likes today.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/34834928/facebook-account.png

https://www.facebook.com/ApacheOO

If you haven't yet done it, like us on facebook!  That six degrees of
separation will help us get announcements out on social media like a wild
fire!  Your friends might like us too.

Likes gives us a chance to enter people's news feed (a chance in the flood
of other updates, but still a chance).

Samer

Re: Facebook Likes Almost Tripled Since February

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> Awesome realization, I was documenting some changes to our social profiles
> (screen captures), and since February 8th, 2013 we went from just over
> 3,500 likes to just under 9,400 likes today.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/34834928/facebook-account.png
>
> https://www.facebook.com/ApacheOO
>
> If you haven't yet done it, like us on facebook!  That six degrees of
> separation will help us get announcements out on social media like a wild
> fire!  Your friends might like us too.

This and similar ideas are on our "Quick and Easy" marketing activities page:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Quick_and_Easy_Activities

What Samer says about Facebook is true for our Twitter and Google+
pages as well.

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy Rob,
>
> It was a few days before the email - I requested to join the page (or is it
> a group) at FB. However - following the link above, apparently I was on an
> old page, as it looks different from where I was. ;-/

There are a few unofficial/legacy FB and Twitter accounts out there,
where the original owners were not willing to make them available to
the project.  So the official FB and Twitter pages we have now are
new, created when the Apache project started.

> [OT] Hadn't touched FB  in months I was non-ambulatory for a period earlier
> this year and afraid I'm still not totally back in the swing of regular
> life yet.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I wish you a speedy recovery.

> So - looks like I can post to the page, when I go to the correct one - I'll
> make a point to do that ;)

OK.  Good.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.
Raphael,

I don't think we can effectively chase down every group or page.  We should
follow up on malicious pages though.
I did a shallow search in the results. There is one fb page with recent
announcements but doesn't look malicious.
Here is the page: https://www.facebook.com/ApacheOpenOffice
Not sure who is running it though. Doesn't look malicious though.

-Sam

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
Howdy Rob,