Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Calvin Spealman <ca...@ironfroggy.com> on 2004/03/09 15:38:53 UTC

svnserve and file permissions

is there a way to use svnserve and ssh to authorize users and control which
files and directories in the repository they may access? i understand it can
be done with the apache mod, but i dont want apache, as i dont use it for my
web server.

Re: svnserve and file permissions

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 09:38, Calvin Spealman wrote:
> is there a way to use svnserve and ssh to authorize users and control which
> files and directories in the repository they may access? i understand it can
> be done with the apache mod, but i dont want apache, as i dont use it for my
> web server.

Nope.  Take a look at chapter 6.  At the moment, mod_authz_svn is the
only way to control access to paths within a repository.

Re: svnserve and file permissions

Posted by Mike Mason <mg...@thoughtworks.net>.
Calvin Spealman wrote:

>is there a way to use svnserve and ssh to authorize users and control which
>files and directories in the repository they may access? i understand it can
>be done with the apache mod, but i dont want apache, as i dont use it for my
>web server.

I think you can also do it with a hook script that rejects commits from
people who aren't authorized, although you'd need to maintain such a
script yourself. This isn't quite as nice as doing it with Subversion
authentication though.

Subversion comes with an example here:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/

Cheers,