Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by "Ryan.Xia" <xi...@weiresearch.com> on 2016/02/09 15:27:38 UTC

Re: Adding Multi-Language Support on nifi-web-ui

Hi Joe,

3 months ago, you told me multi-language support need more effort, I
agree with you, it's tough. But because we try to persuade our potential
customer use Nifi to replace original desktop data warehouse builder,
we have to tried our best to delivery the first Chinese version Nifi to
our customer.  Now nifi-web-ui can support Chinese. In coming months
we'll complete Japanese and Korean based on user's needs.

Does hortonworks have any training course or certification for Nifi?
WeiResearch is SI/Consultant partner of hortonworks in China already.
Now we will begin to develop several components for Nifi, and delivery
training to our customers. I think it's better to have some official
courses and training levels,then we can translate nifi-web-docs.

If there is not such a process, who can I contact to build up the
process? We need extend our partnership to ISV and training delivery
partnership for Nifi workflow, could you help me find out who shall I
contact? I trust Nifi is a way out for emerging market to replace
traditional data integration tools.

We already open source in https://github.com/xiazhenyu/nifi. After we
complete testing we'll merge codes from trunk continuously.

1.  In JSP codes, we use "fmt" to replace all "hard code" messages,
around 486 messages be translated

JSP :
https://github.com/xiazhenyu/nifi/blob/master/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-framework-bundle/nifi-framework/nifi-web/nifi-web-ui/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/web/resources/Messages_cn.properties

2. In JS codes,  we create resource JavaScript class to change message
and label dynamically. 513 messages label be added as resources.

JavaScript:  Source codes as in
https://github.com/xiazhenyu/nifi/blob/master/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-framework-bundle/nifi-framework/nifi-web/nifi-web-ui/src/main/webapp/js/nf/globalization/resources.js

We'll build demo URL to show Chinese / Japanese version at first. Some
screenshots as below

Regards,
Ryan

在 2015/10/23 4:33, Joe Witt 写道:
> Hello
>
> We definitely should do this.  However, we all need to be open and
> honest about how much work Internationalization is.  While at the same
> time we must keep in mind what a tremendous opportunity it is to make
> the software available for a larger user base and contributors.
>
> We have to consider all extensions, logs, web ui, docs, etc..  It will
> take quite an effort.  Also not sure if some languages or characters
> would require UI changes to even render properly.  Non-trivial for
> sure.
>
> We should probably make sure there are folks who can volunteer to make
> language translations before we head too far down this route.
>
> Are there any examples of open source projects that have taken this
> sort of thing on successfully?
>
> Thanks
> Joe
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Ryan.Xia<xi...@weiresearch.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Our team is working on 2 projects which may use nifi as data flow
>> controller. But we need add multi lanuage support, such as Chinese and
>> Japanese.
>>
>> We prepare to start add some label properties in JavaScript or JSP as
>> usual(nifi-web-ui bundle), but before do that, let's confirm whether nifi
>> community has plan to do it.  We'd better follow the right plan.
>>
>> Before we head toward nifi, we use Rapidminer to build ETL work flow and
>> scripts. But now, Rapidminer is not open source product and it's not web
>> based.  Some customers want see their data flow be done and be monitored in
>> the browser.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Ryan

Ryan

Re: Adding Multi-Language Support on nifi-web-ui

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
...no words for how not even close I was to a valid response on that :-)

I read the first sentence and had my reply ready.  Read the rest of the
thread and somehow convinced myself it was for my initial assumption.

Sorry about that.

We can definitely do things to make internationalization easier such as
externalizing key strings and ensuring the UX allows for different
languages to have room.  What you have started is excellent.  Interested in
contributing to that back?

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ryan