Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@apache.org> on 2019/11/26 14:14:54 UTC

consurrent PRs

Hi guys,

I wanted your opinion about something:

I have 2 concurrent PRs that do the same:

https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/10010

https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/10025

The first one is a bit better because it addresses a deprecation that
the other does not address. Except that they are the same. The first one
the the older (1 day before) but the second one is the one that received
reviews.

I guess the problem is that there were 3 duplicate tickets of
Elasticsearch7 upgrade (because people do not search for existing
tickets before opening). As a result concurrent PRs were submitted
despite the PR link on jira. I removed the duplicates but I need to
close one of the PRs.

The question is: which one do you think should be closed?

Thanks for you opinion guys

Etienne

Re: consurrent PRs

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Hi Etienne,

That is hard to tell from the outside. Based on the activity in the PRs,
it looks like you already chose the second PR (#10025).

You should know best which one to merge. Make a call.

Cheers,
Max

Re: consurrent PRs

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.
IMHO, I think the "rule of thumb” should be to accept a PR which was done by correspondent Jira's assigner (of course if it correctly addresses and fixes initial issue). Jira assigning should be like a “mutex” (as Kenn said in other discussion) for a person who works on this. Though, we need to unassign long-taken issues if there is no progress and it would allow other people take this task and work on this without any conflicts after.

In mean time, we need to check for Jira duplicates to prevent the situations described above and, if any, the first created Jira should “win” in case of conflicts. By “we” here I mean Beam devs who are responsible for concrete component and manage regularly its tasks..

Re: consurrent PRs

Posted by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Re: consurrent PRs