Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Womack <mw...@bevocal.com> on 2003/05/19 06:12:28 UTC

chainsaw v2

Ok, I'm here at work on a Sunday evening for a big deployment that I am not
playing a major role in.  So, I decided to play around in the sandbox and
get chainsaw building on my machine here at work.  I succeeded in building
and launching it.  I like the welcome tab.  That will be useful when there
is more info :-).  Now all I gotta do is get some event sources to start
sending it events.

Some comments:

- Why do we have a chainsaw-build.xml?  Why can't it be part of the regular
build.xml, just new/different targets?  When this gets moved into the
log4j-core, the build targets will need to be integrated into the existing
core build.xml, so it will be good to do it now in the sandbox.

- Why does the build script require me to have both the jakarta-oro.jar and
the jakarta-regexp.jar?  Isn't having just one sufficient?  Did we decide
that one of these would be required or will features just be disabled if not
present?

Probably not the level of feedback that Paul and Scott are looking for...but
it is a start.  Now that I have it built here at work I am going to start
using it on a more daily basis.  I'll have more usability feedback later...

Appreciate all the effort!  You guys are really moving!

-Mark