Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Oleg Konovalov <ol...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/03 13:21:28 UTC

UTF-8 characters changed

Hi,

My Flex web app retrieves and saves data to DB2 via Web Service and Java
It works fine, however often users use some UTF-8 characters,
especially foreign currency characters - British pound, Euros, Ecu, Yens,
etc
So they put that character on screen and save in DB2.
However, when that row is retrieved, it is several other characters instead.
We don't do any escape or encodeURI there.
Why does it happen and how to fix it?
.

--
Thank you,
Oleg.

Re: UTF-8 characters changed

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/4/2014 3:12 AM, Oleg Konovalov wrote:
> Is it possible that Flex has a SWF with fonts which don't support these
> UTF8 currency chars,
> so it created that  2->5 chars descrepancy?

if you're seeing question marks in your data its caused by encoding mismatches
(or by whatever you're using to view the data not being unicode capable). if its
a case of fonts not having the required "characters" you'd be seeing empty boxes.

sorry if this has already been asked & answered (deleted the other parts of this
thread)...starting from the backend, is the column holding this data unicode
capable? is the SP or whatever handling the insert using the required unicode
hints (say if its sql server, using N'unicode text' or some hint in the JDBC
driver)?

Re: UTF-8 characters changed

Posted by Oleg Konovalov <ol...@gmail.com>.
No, we are not using Regex.
Correction:  I tried to debugging and do it more carefully (so no CRs,
EndOfLine) getting there.
so the in full Web service URL and in params in send in ActionScript show
it correctly (2 UTF8 chars).

There is a thin Java layer (incl. REST-SOAP bridge),
there I see parameters passed to stored proc, and it is different there.
So in Java log when I look at params of that stored proc,
instead of 2 characters I see 5 (where the 4th is either space or '?'
question mark).

--
Thank you,
Oleg.