Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "S. Brüseke - proIO GmbH" <s....@proio.com> on 2017/01/19 09:04:13 UTC

Template management

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding templates and how you manage these in you CS installation.

We are planning to create a new template for Debian, CentOS and Ubuntu each month to keep them up2date, because we have a short lifecycle for servers. Does anybody do the same or has other workflows for that?

One big downside of that is that (as far as I understand CS) our primary storage (we are using XenServer) is getting filled up with templates. CS is not deleting a template until all VMs created by this template are expunged. Can somebody confirm this?

I am really interested in other solutions and workflows, so please shoot. :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards,

Swen

- proIO GmbH -
Geschäftsführer: Swen Brüseke
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt am Main

USt-IdNr. DE 267 075 918
Registergericht: Frankfurt am Main - HRB 86239

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben,
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify
the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Re: Template management

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Swen,

Yes appreciate this – this is why shared storage is better for this scenario – no merging of disks.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

On 23/01/2017, 11:37, "S. Brüseke - proIO GmbH" <s....@proio.com> wrote:

    Hi Dag,

    good point! Thank you for bringing it up.
    Our situation is that we need to use storage live migration to do XenServer updates anyway.

Re: Template management

AW: Template management

Re: Template management

AW: Template management

Posted by "S. Brüseke - proIO GmbH" <s....@proio.com>.
Hi Dag,

Re: Template management

Re: AW: Template management

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi Swen again

On 01/19/2017 02:31 PM, S. Brseke - proIO GmbH wrote:
> @Rene: Of course it is the user's responsibility, but we want to provide a VM with the latest updates each time you deploy a new VM. :-) I know that cloud-init can do this on boot, but what if the network has no internet connection?

I understand, my comment was more like for the topic "how others do it". ;)

Regards
Ren

AW: Template management

Re: Template management

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi Swen

Re: Template management

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Swen,

You are correct – templates are not housekept on primary storage until all VMs utilizing them have been deleted (have a look at this blog post if you want to know a bit more about XenServer disk chains - http://www.shapeblue.com/recovery-of-vms-to-new-cloudstack-instance/ ).

In short the problem you describe is something that hits most people who want to do monthly template updates, and as you hint at it can really only be managed with sufficiently sized storage pools, and if possible – by using things like thin provisioning and deduplication, etc.

Other solutions would rely on you either running a managed infrastructure where you provide an automated patching mechanism with e.g. Ansible /  Puppet / Chef / etc. – but this would in most cases mean you have to plan patching with all your customers – something I doubt you want to do.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue