Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Robbins <dr...@drobbins.net> on 2002/09/11 18:37:09 UTC

relative path/context problem

Hello All,

I'm seeing some really odd behaviour, I hope someone can tell me what i'm
doing wrong. I've written some jsp/servlet code with Forte 4.0, created a
war file and deployed it on Tomcat 4.0.4. ( I deployed it by putting the
war file in the webapps dir and restarting Tomcat) The war file was
my_stuff.war so the url is

http://localhost:8080/my_stuff/index.jsp

That works fine. As I started developing a little code I got to a point I
wanted a link back to the entry of the site, I thought

would do the job. But this link pointed to

http://localhost:8080/my_stuff/servlet/index.jsp

I was confused so to simplify things I went back to index.jsp and put a
link to itself in the file. When you mouse over the link, the address it
point to is

http://localhost:8080/index.jsp

Shouldn't Tomcat be prepending

http://localhost:8080/my_stuff

onto any link I specify like this

I'm playing around with what's called a model 2 architecture where a jsp
page calls a servlet which does some data processing and then forwards the
request to another jsp page and I'm not having any trouble with path's when
I forward the request, just with links in the jsp pages.

what's really maddening is that in playing around with this I've seen it
work correctly and seen it fail. Obviously I'm doing something boneheaded,
any ideas??

Dave

Re: relative path/context problem

Posted by Dave Robbins <dr...@drobbins.net>.
I have 1 servlet name EntryBean in a package called phonebook
should web.xml have entries for jsp pages?
here's the whole file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>EntryBean</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>phonebook.EntryBean</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>EntryBean</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/servlet/phonebook.EntryBean</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <session-config>
    <session-timeout>
            30
        </session-timeout>
  </session-config>
  <welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file>
            index.jsp
        </welcome-file>
    <welcome-file>
            index.html
        </welcome-file>
    <welcome-file>
            index.htm
        </welcome-file>
  </welcome-file-list>
</web-app>

Posted by rob <ro...@softhome.net>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Dave,

The issue is that you are specifying a path to the root of your
server.  Any time you provide "/mypage.html", it will ignore the
current directory you are in and reference the root of the web server.

What you want is "./mypage.html" or just "mypage.html".

What you should be doing when using MVC, though is choose a mapping
for pages that are to go through you controller servlet.  The
Barracuda project generally maps "*.event" to the controller.  So, no
matter where you are in your directory hierarchy of your current
context, the appropriate event will be fired.  However, even in this
case, if your context we "/mycontext" and your link inside a page in
that context was "/myevent.event", this still would end up going to
the root of your webserver and not be served by the current webapp
context.  Instead, you would use "./myevent.event"  or just
"myevent.event" as the URL.

Does that make sense?

Jake

Wednesday, September 11, 2002, 11:37:09 AM, you wrote:

DR> Hello All,

DR> I'm seeing some really odd behaviour, I hope someone can tell me what i'm
DR> doing wrong. I've written some jsp/servlet code with Forte 4.0, created a
DR> war file and deployed it on Tomcat 4.0.4. ( I deployed it by putting the
DR> war file in the webapps dir and restarting Tomcat) The war file was
DR> my_stuff.war so the url is

DR> http://localhost:8080/my_stuff/index.jsp

DR> That works fine. As I started developing a little code I got to a point I
DR> wanted a link back to the entry of the site, I thought

DR> would do the job. But this link pointed to

DR> http://localhost:8080/my_stuff/servlet/index.jsp

DR> I was confused so to simplify things I went back to index.jsp and put a
DR> link to itself in the file. When you mouse over the link, the address it
DR> point to is

DR> http://localhost:8080/index.jsp

DR> Shouldn't Tomcat be prepending

DR> http://localhost:8080/my_stuff

DR> onto any link I specify like this

DR> I'm playing around with what's called a model 2 architecture where a jsp
DR> page calls a servlet which does some data processing and then forwards the
DR> request to another jsp page and I'm not having any trouble with path's when
DR> I forward the request, just with links in the jsp pages.

DR> what's really maddening is that in playing around with this I've seen it
DR> work correctly and seen it fail. Obviously I'm doing something boneheaded,
DR> any ideas??

DR> Dave

DR> --

Best regards,

Re: relative path/context problem

Posted by Mauro Daniel Ardolino <ma...@altersoft.com.ar>.
Thanks! but is only experience (yesterday I had the same problem ;)

Posted by Dave Robbins <dr...@drobbins.net>.

Posted by Mauro Daniel Ardolino <ma...@altersoft.com.ar>.