Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/19 14:56:28 UTC

[math] subversion auto-props

Hi,

as I have seen it already multiple times, some people do not seem to
have subversion auto-props enabled or configured correctly.

You should at least add something like the following to your
.subversion/config file in the [auto-props] section:

*.java = svn:mime-type=text/plain;svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id
Revision HeadURL

Other filetypes may be useful too.

Thomas

Re: [math] subversion auto-props

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 January 2013 13:56, Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I have seen it already multiple times, some people do not seem to
> have subversion auto-props enabled or configured correctly.
>
> You should at least add something like the following to your
> .subversion/config file in the [auto-props] section:
>
> *.java = svn:mime-type=text/plain;svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id
> Revision HeadURL

The only setting that is absolutely required is svn:eol-style, as
fixing that can cause huge diffs to be generated.
The others can easily be fixed later, but does no harm to enable them.

I don't recommend using $HeadURL$ in source code, because it can be
either http: and https:; this messes up comparison of the tag with
source archives.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 06:33:49PM +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> On 01/19/2013 06:30 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

> >> well, it is ok, but then you have to do the svn propset svn:keywords 'Id
> >> Revision' yourself for every java source file you create.
> >
> > But then, what is the puupose of "enable-auto-props = yes"?
> > [I thought that a commit would automatically add the properties...]
>
> but you have to specify which ones:

> this only sets the eol-style, but no keywords. This line specifies the
> keywords to be set: Id Revision

OK. Config updated...

Thanks,
Gillles

Re: [math] subversion auto-props

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 06:08:07PM +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> On 01/19/2013 05:49 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 02:56:28PM +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> as I have seen it already multiple times, some people do not seem to
> >> have subversion auto-props enabled or configured correctly.
> >>
> >> You should at least add something like the following to your
> >> .subversion/config file in the [auto-props] section:
> >>
> >> *.java = svn:mime-type=text/plain;svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=Id
> >> Revision HeadURL
> >>
> >> Other filetypes may be useful too.
> >
> > I committed many of those files which you corrected.
> >
> > This is what I have in "~/.subversion/config" (only relevant parts shown):
> >
> > [miscellany]
> > enable-auto-props = yes
> > svn:keywords = Date Author Id Revision
> >
> > [auto-props]
> > *.java = svn:eol-style=native
> >

> > Is that supposed to be OK?
>
> well, it is ok, but then you have to do the svn propset svn:keywords 'Id
> Revision' yourself for every java source file you create.

But then, what is the puupose of "enable-auto-props = yes"?
[I thought that a commit would automatically add the properties...]

Gilles

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.