Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Mircea Toma <mi...@home.com> on 2001/11/12 23:39:53 UTC

kernel services

Hi,

We discussed a while ago about making kernel services available to blocks. I
would like to implement that because as I understand Phoenix should work on
a variety of platforms and by moving the code in the application space will
make its deployment much more flexible.
What I would like to know is if we want to restrict the access to available
kernel services or just make the available if they are specified in .xinfo
file?

Mircea

Re: kernel services

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:39, Mircea Toma wrote:
> We discussed a while ago about making kernel services available to blocks.
> I would like to implement that because as I understand Phoenix should work
> on a variety of platforms and by moving the code in the application space
> will make its deployment much more flexible.

right.

> What I would like to know is if we want to restrict the access to available
> kernel services or just make the available if they are specified in .xinfo
> file?

I like Stephens idea of making it as "safe" as possible. I think we should
also mark this as an experimental feature until we see how it evolves.
Perhaps issue a warning saying "You are using experimental feature. High
probability of change or removal in future" or something similar so people
don't become too attached to it ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: kernel services

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:45, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> > What I would like to know is if we want to restrict the access to
> > available kernel services or just make the available if they are
> > specified in .xinfo file?
>
> I think we have to be more rigorous than that.  It seems to make sense to
> use the same pattern of "dependency demand" / "service provision" that
> exists between xinfo and the assembly.xml file, but applied to the kernel
> and installed kernel services.

+1

--
Cheers,

Pete

RE: kernel services

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.
> We discussed a while ago about making kernel services available
> to blocks. I would like to implement that because as I understand
> Phoenix should work on a variety of platforms and by moving the
> code in the application space will make its deployment much more
> flexible.

Agreed.

> What I would like to know is if we want to restrict the access to
> available kernel services or just make the available if they are
> specified in .xinfo file?

I think we have to be more rigorous than that.  It seems to make sense to
use the same pattern of "dependency demand" / "service provision" that
exists between xinfo and the assembly.xml file, but applied to the kernel
and installed kernel services.

Cheers, Steve.

Stephen J. McConnell, OSM sarl
digital products for a global economy