Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Albert <ji...@netrition.com> on 2019/09/13 20:46:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.4.6 - ErrorLog

In use of CentOS7 servers and the included apache, I'm moving to
Apache/2.4.6

It appears something related to ErrorLog has changed.
I'm using what I have always used:
ErrorLog "logs/error_log"

and I do see messages going to logs/error_log such as start/stop and
certain types of errors such as access denied, but something simple like
a file not found error is not getting logged outside of certain scripts
not being found associated with SriptAlias definitions.

But just a request to https://'my_web_server'/no_such_file.html does not
get logged as not found as it used to in earlier apache. Nothing related
to this file not being found gets printed to logs/error_log.

I've checked docs on ErrorLog along with httpd.conf and .htaccess files,
but nothing is jumping out at me as relevant to this behavior.

Note LogLevel setting:
LogLevel warn

Thanks,
Jim

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.4.6 - ErrorLog

Posted by Jim Albert <ji...@netrition.com>.
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 3:46 PM Jim Albert <jim@netrition.com
> <ma...@netrition.com>> wrote:
>
>     In use of CentOS7 servers and the included apache, I'm moving to
>     Apache/2.4.6
>
>     It appears something related to ErrorLog has changed.
>     I'm using what I have always used:
>     ErrorLog "logs/error_log"
>
>     and I do see messages going to logs/error_log such as start/stop and
>     certain types of errors such as access denied, but something
>     simple like
>     a file not found error is not getting logged outside of certain
>     scripts
>     not being found associated with SriptAlias definitions.
>
>     But just a request to https://'my_web_server'/no_such_file.html
>     does not
>     get logged as not found as it used to in earlier apache. Nothing
>     related
>     to this file not being found gets printed to logs/error_log.
>
>     I've checked docs on ErrorLog along with httpd.conf and .htaccess
>     files,
>     but nothing is jumping out at me as relevant to this behavior.
>
>     Note LogLevel setting:
>     LogLevel warn
>

> Right, if the file isn't found the client asked for a
> non-existent resource.
> Nothing to be "warned" of.
>
> Try LogLevel info (or event debug) if you want to see higher resolution
> details about errors caused by the client, as opposed to errors in your
> configuration that the operator needs to act on.

Thanks!

I had tried that, but had overlooked that I have a LogLevel setting in
ssl.conf as well which was overriding the http.conf LogLevel setting.

Apparently, Apache folks change what they consider a warning over time.

What I want to be informed about as in a missing image file used to be
considered a warning, but now it is not.

In order to be notified of missing files (File not found) messages, I
have to set LogLevel to at minimum info. Unfortunately, that's way too
verbose, making the logs mostly useless in terms of a human reviewing
them casually. Would need some parsing. I prefer a less verbose log with
helpful statements  I can periodically review myself.

Aside... I don't agree with Apache's decision on what is considered a
warning.

But again... thanks for pushing me to look further at LogLevel.

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.