Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jonas Bonér <jo...@jonasboner.com> on 2009/05/01 12:59:48 UTC

Questions around API changes

Hi there.

First, should I use this ML or the google forum?

Just getting into Cassandra, love it so far. Great work. Very impressive.
Some questions on the API changes.

* What does the new timestamp arg in
public boolean remove(String tablename, String key, String
columnFamily_column, long timestamp, boolean block)
specify?

* Any reason for making ctor in CassandraServer protected? I am
embedding Cassandra and now I have to use reflection to create the
instance. No big deal, just checking why?

* Great making the values byte arrays.

* I get this exception when invoking batch_update (in the previous
release, haven't tried with the latest trunk yet):
ERROR - Exception was generated at : 04/27/2009 15:26:35 on thread main
[B cannot be cast to org.apache.cassandra.db.WriteResponse
java.lang.ClassCastException: [B cannot be cast to
org.apache.cassandra.db.WriteResponse
    at org.apache.cassandra.service.WriteResponseResolver.resolve(WriteResponseResolver.java:50)
    at org.apache.cassandra.service.WriteResponseResolver.resolve(WriteResponseResolver.java:31)
    at org.apache.cassandra.service.QuorumResponseHandler.get(QuorumResponseHandler.java:101)
    at org.apache.cassandra.service.StorageProxy.insertBlocking(StorageProxy.java:135)
    at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraServer.batch_insert_blocking(CassandraServer.java:489)

Thanks.

--
Jonas Bonér

twitter: jboner
http://jonasboner.com
http://crisp.se

Re: Questions around API changes

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Jonas Bonér <jo...@jonasboner.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the answers.
>
> Btw, is the CQL in usable state?

No idea.  Probably not. :)

> If not, any plans?

The third cassandra committer from FB who mostly remains silent
(forget his name atm) is supposedly planning to work on it more.

> What about the CLI interface?

That is working.  In fact, Eric just wrote a new wrapper script for it
and a README: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/trunk/README.txt

-Jonathan

Re: Questions around API changes

Posted by Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>.
There's no official roadmap as far as I know, It's mostly about cleaning
up code, adding tests, fixing bits and adding a bare minimum of user
friendlyness. There is a thread in the apache mailing list archives
called "Roadmap" with some more details.

You can get an overview of the issues assigned to 0.3.0 over here, no
guarantee they'll all make it into that release though:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310865&fixfor=12313861&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC

/Johan

Posted by Jonas Bonér <jo...@jonasboner.com>.
Thanks for the answers.