Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Amit Jain <am...@apache.org> on 2014/10/14 09:13:09 UTC

Execution stats for AsyncIndexUpdate

Hi,

I would like to add execution stats for the AsynIndexUpdate which reports
the total execution time taken and the number of runs. This would be
helpful for getting the exact information about the performance when
indexing large content and for testing.

There are 2 options:
* using apache commons SummaryStatistics - Simple.
* an alternative could be to use Jackrabbit 2.x's TimeSeriesRecorder. Seems
a bit heavy for this case but if short and long term trends are important
then this would be preferable

Which one would be appropriate?

Thanks
Amit

Re: Execution stats for AsyncIndexUpdate

Posted by Thomas Mueller <mu...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

As for creating an index, I think it would make sense to know the number
of nodes indexed so far. That way it can be used to predict (roughly) when
it will be finished (based on the number of nodes that were indexed last
time).

Regards,
Thomas

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.
On 14/10/2014 08:13, Amit Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add execution stats for the AsynIndexUpdate which reports
> the total execution time taken and the number of runs. This would be
> helpful for getting the exact information about the performance when
> indexing large content and for testing.
>
> There are 2 options:
> * using apache commons SummaryStatistics - Simple.
> * an alternative could be to use Jackrabbit 2.x's TimeSeriesRecorder. Seems
> a bit heavy for this case but if short and long term trends are important
> then this would be preferable
>
> Which one would be appropriate?

Hello Amit,

some time ago I created the StopwatchLogger[0] in oak to be used for
tracking time spent on an operation. I've integrated it already in the
OrderedIndex as part of OAK-2057. See [1] for an example.

0) http://goo.gl/tDD2F9
1) http://goo.gl/3qWPl5

HTH
Davide