Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jamsheed <aj...@aol.com> on 2004/10/07 09:05:40 UTC

Help!! Mod_perl performance

Hi,

I am having  2 instances of my appplication one in  non mod_perl and
other in mod_perl environment, and the mod_perl is configured with
Apache::Registry .
When I browse through the  pages I dont find any  significant difference
in speed. I checked the environment variable and made sure that mod_perl
is running.

Any help appreciated !!!!!

Should  there be a significant number of  hits (load on webserver) to
feel the difference in performance / speed.
Want kind of tests should I do to gauage the performance difference.
(load tests? ).
Is there any code snippet i can used to find the difference in both
enviornments.

Thanks in Advance
jamsheed

Re: Help!! Mod_perl performance

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:05:40 -0700
Jamsheed <aj...@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having  2 instances of my appplication one in  non mod_perl and
> other in mod_perl environment, and the mod_perl is configured with
> Apache::Registry .
> When I browse through the  pages I dont find any  significant
> difference in speed. I checked the environment variable and made sure
> that mod_perl is running.
>
> Any help appreciated !!!!!
>
> Should  there be a significant number of  hits (load on webserver) to
> feel the difference in performance / speed.
> Want kind of tests should I do to gauage the performance difference.
> (load tests? ).
> Is there any code snippet i can used to find the difference in both
> enviornments.

  Check out the program 'ab' which should be installed with Apache.
  It stands for Apache Benchmark and can be used to stress test your
  web server and applications.  Run it once with a few clients on your
  non-mod_perl environment and then your mod_perl one and you should
  see a difference in the number of requests per second they can handle.

Re: Help!! Mod_perl performance

Posted by Tom Mornini <tm...@infomania.com>.

Re: Help!! Mod_perl performance

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 09:05, Jamsheed wrote:
> When I browse through the  pages I dont find any  significant difference
> in speed. I checked the environment variable and made sure that mod_perl
> is running.

Usually the speed difference is so large that you can see it clearly
just by hitting reload a few times.  Check $ENV{MOD_PERL} to see if it
is true under one and false under the other.  Some possible reasons why
you wouldn't see a difference:

- Your script does something very slow that can't be sped up by
mod_perl, like running an external command or doing a large I/O
operation.

- Your server is already heavily loaded or out of memory and swapping.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

- Perrin