Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2003/06/07 16:00:34 UTC

Eclipse + CVS notes and questions

Ecliptic fopdevs,

I have started to look at Eclipse again, having more or less given up
once before due to usability issues on my laptop.

The process so far:

In the CVS Repository Exploring Perspective I added the
cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs repository.  A glitch here was that the
password requested was my cvs.apache.org password, rather than the
passphrase for my ssh identity in ~/.ssh, which is usually reqested when
  try to access the repository.  (Any idea why?)

Opening the repository in the CVS Repositories window gives me three
sub-headings:
HEAD
Branches
Versions

Opening HEAD gives me a list of module folders (and a few other odds and
ends.)  This module list, as expected, includes the xml-fop folder.
Opening this folder lists the folder and file content, complete with
revision number on the files.  Right-button opens a menu which includes
check out and tag options, an "Add to Branch List..." submenu and a
"Configure Branches and Versions..." submenu.

The Add to Branch List... item merely asks for the name of the branch.
The Configure Branches and Versions... submenu brings up a window which
confused me mightily, and from which I eventually retreated in
confusion.  Clicking OK didn't seem to do anything I could relate to.

Opening Branches reveals an empty category.

Opening Versions gives another list of the module menus, including
xml-fop.  Opening the xml-fop menu shows that it is empty.  Right-button
brings up the "Configure Branches and Versions for xml-fop" window again.

Back to the HEAD xml-fop folder.  Right-button, Add to Branch List...,
Enter the name of the branch.

fop-0_20_2-maintain
OK

The hourglass turns... Open Versions->xml-fop.  Still nothing.
Open Branches.  Bingo! Open fop-0_20_2-maintain.
Open folder xml-fop fop-0_20_2-maintain.  The folders and files of
fop-0_20_2-maintain are there, as can be seen bu comparing file revision
numbers with the numbers on the corresponding files displayed under
HEAD>xml-fop.

Back to HEAD xml-fop folder.  Right-button.  Add to Branch List...
Enter the name of the branch.

FOP_0-20-0_Alt-Design
OK

Open Branches.  Open FOP_0-20-0_Alt-Design
Open folder xml-fop FOP_0-20-0_Alt-Design
The set of folders and files from the branch is displayed.

Unfortunately, the fop-0_20_0-maintain branc is no longer present.  Grrr.

Let's try Branches->Right-button->Refresh branches

All branches disappear as if by magic.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Peter
--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

Re: Eclipse + CVS notes and questions

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
done.

On 08.06.2003 08:30:58 Peter B. West wrote:
> You might want to add that HEAD can
> be checked out from the HEAD folder (if indeed it can - I'm trying it now.)

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Eclipse + CVS notes and questions

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Jeremias,

I stumbled through the Branch and Version configuration without seeing
your recently added images in the Wiki.  They would have saved me a good
deal of time, had I been sensible enough to re-check the Wiki.

the extssh method is internal to Eclipse, which, I assume, is why there
is no reference to my ssh id setup.  I will try setting up ext to use
ssh, and see if things work better.

I wanted to try importing my existing branch checkouts, but that didn't
seem to work too well, so I have reverted to performing the Check Out As...

Thanks for the details on the Wiki.  You might want to add that HEAD can