Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Bob Ionescu <bo...@googlemail.com> on 2009/06/18 18:57:54 UTC

Re: svn commit: r785425 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/mappers/mod_dir.c

2009/6/17 Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>
> It seems to me that "Default" is right - it implies what should be done
> when no more explicit configuration applies.  E.g. DefaultType,
> DefaultIcon, etc.
>
> Whether this is a "Handler" I'm not so sure of.

I'd call it DefaultMapping or so to avoid confusion with SetHandler.
Usually, the therm "handler" is known to be somewhat file
resource-independent unless you're using the Action directive and
associate a specific cgi-script to a handler.

DefaultMapping /index.php
AddHandler php_handler .php

is more intuitive IMHO since the directive maps the request /foo to
/index.php if no corresponding resource was found in the filesystem
and no content handler was associated (e.g. via SetHandler).

Bob

Re: svn commit: r785425 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/mappers/mod_dir.c

Posted by "Akins, Brian" <Br...@turner.com>.
On 6/18/09 12:57 PM, "Bob Ionescu" <bo...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> DefaultMapping /index.php
> AddHandler php_handler .php

Of course, though, php is only supported in fastcgi mode now.

Unrelated to the discussion, but, yes, I will keep saying this over and over
again until I quit seeing references to mod_php/libphp in apache2....

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer

Re: svn commit: r785425 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/mappers/mod_dir.c

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:57:54 +0200
Bob Ionescu <bo...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2009/6/17 Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>
> > It seems to me that "Default" is right - it implies what should be
> > done when no more explicit configuration applies.  E.g. DefaultType,
> > DefaultIcon, etc.
> >
> > Whether this is a "Handler" I'm not so sure of.
>
> I'd call it DefaultMapping or so to avoid confusion with SetHandler.
> Usually, the therm "handler" is known to be somewhat file
> resource-independent unless you're using the Action directive and
> associate a specific cgi-script to a handler.
>
> DefaultMapping /index.php
> AddHandler php_handler .php

+1

Makes sense to me.  DefaultHandler was from an earlier idea
on implementation, but test-driving that revealed a bunch of
gotchas that would've confused the hell out of users - hence
the switch to a clone of Directory index handling.

--
Nick Kew