Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Kaare Rasmussen <ka...@kakidata.dk> on 2005/05/22 12:40:20 UTC

Embperl 2 for Apache 2 on SUSE Linux 9.3

Hi

Any easy installation guide for this combination?

Alas, Novell doesn't include Embperl with its distribution. It does however
have Apache 2 and mod_perl 2. How dificult is it to get Embperl 2 to run on
top of that?

RE: Embperl 2 for Apache 2 on SUSE Linux 9.3

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi

> > do you have LoadModule embperl_module "/path/to/Embperl.so"
> in apache
> > config?
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> I did include it in the configuration file, but it is alas
> one of the files that SUSE decides to overwrite on startup.
> It wants to do some magic so I have to do some un-magic so it
> can find the module.

I always prefer to have my own httpd.conf instead of using the SuSE one,
because SuSE tries to catch every possible combination you can thing of,
which makes the config file in most cases much to complicated from my point
of view.

Gerald

Re: Embperl 2 for Apache 2 on SUSE Linux 9.3

Posted by Kaare Rasmussen <ka...@kakidata.dk>.
Hi

Posted by Aare Vesi <aa...@myrien.com>.
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>># make test
>

> If I ignore the test and just make install, it sort of works. Strange thing is
> that
>
>   EMBPERL_APPNAME freemoney
>   EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE base.tepl
>   EMBPERL_URIMATCH "\.htm.?|\.epl$"
>   EMBPERL_SESSION_HANDLER_CLASS "no"
>   EMBPERL_FILESMATCH "\.htm.?|\.epl$"
>
> results in a startup message:
>
> Starting httpd2 (prefork) Syntax error on line 19
> of /etc/apache2/conf.d/x-fm.conf:
> Invalid command 'EMBPERL_OBJECT_BASE', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
> module not included in the server configuration

Hi,

do you have LoadModule embperl_module "/path/to/Embperl.so" in apache
config?

This "perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the
server configuration"
usually occures when not loading Embperl.so

Re: Embperl 2 for Apache 2 on SUSE Linux 9.3

Posted by Kaare Rasmussen <ka...@kakidata.dk>.

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> > Alas, Novell doesn't include Embperl with its distribution. It does
> > however have Apache 2 and mod_perl 2. How dificult is it to get
> > Embperl 2 to run on top of that?
>
> SUSE 9.3 with apache2, apache2-devel. mod_perl 2 and either
> apache-prefork or apache-worker doesn't seem to like embperl:
>
> configuration:
> Found mod_perl  Version 1.999021
> Found LWP::UserAgent  Version 2.033
> Found HTML::HeadParser  Version 2.21
> Apache::Session not installed on this system
> -> Disable tests for persistent data storage
> Found File::Spec  Version 3.01
> Found CGI  Version 3.05
>

> # make test
> Testing offline mode...
>
> #0 ascii...                   make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 127
>
> # more test/tmp/test.err.log
>
> /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup
> error: /root/.cpanplus/5.8.6/build/Embperl-2.0rc3/
> blib/arch/auto/Embperl/Embperl.so: undefined symbol: ap_strchr
>
> I don't know where ap_strchr is supposed to be. Well, I know
> there's one in httpd.h but as it's already being included,
> there must be another problem.

It comes from Apache, but it should not be called here.

Did you try make test from inside cpanplus? If yes, please retry without
cpanplus. This issue arrises when the dynamic linker is forced to directly
resolve symbols, instead of lazy resolving.

Basicly this is not a problem of SuSE 9.3, since it works for me with SuSE
9.3, but with mod_perl and Apache compiled from the sources. I didn't have
tried the binaries that comes with SuSE.

> By the way. If I use apache-worker, the configuration will
> fail because it's looking for mod_cgi.so. This file is only
> included in prefork.

Embperl 2 only supports prefork yet

Gerald

Re: Embperl 2 for Apache 2 on SUSE Linux 9.3

Posted by Kaare Rasmussen <ka...@kakidata.dk>.