Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <ce...@mail.mil> on 2017/01/06 14:33:32 UTC

RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Suggested license mod or FAQ

Hi, my name is Cem Karan, and I'm one of those Government employees that Chris
was talking about.  Is it also possible to clarify the definition of Licensor
in clause 1?  As a Government employee, my works are in the public domain, so
there is no copyright holder.  I'd hate to have one of my contributions cause
headaches because of that.

Thanks,
Cem Karan

RE: [Non-DoD Source] Suggested license mod or FAQ

Posted by "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <ce...@mail.mil>.
OK, so the mixing in of contractor material is probably what allows the use of
the ASL for the work as a whole.  That said, both you and Ted have given me a
good place to start my inquiries at.  Thank you!  I'll get our lawyers talking
to the NSA lawyers ASAP.

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Cem,

I have spoken with our general counsel here at MapR. He is *very* well
versed in copyright (he did all the key licenses at Sun, for instance). His
interpretation matches mine and others that public domain material can be
contributed precisely because there is no copyright, that derived works
formed by changes to public domain elements can be contributed because the
derived work does have a copyright to be licensed and anything that has a
license that allows contribution can be contributed.

He is willing to have a short conversation with one or more of your
attorneys on the topic if you like. If you do want to make that happen,
please contact me off-line. My Apache email works well for that (tdunning
at apache and so on).

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) <

Posted by "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <ce...@mail.mil>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Cem,

Posted by "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <ce...@mail.mil>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <ce...@mail.mil>.

When you say 'our government', I assume you mean the US Government.  Can you
please point out which agencies are doing this, and on which projects?  I need
to find out if the code was original code produced exclusively by civil
servants.  If it was, I want to put our lawyers in contact with that agency's
lawyers to see what their legal theories are.  Right now, my lab's lawyers
have concerns about using *any* copyright-based license that may be able to be
assuaged by other Government lawyers.

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Suggested license mod or FAQ

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <ce...@mail.mil>.

Thank you Ted, you've answered my concerns.  I don't think our lawyers would
be worried about a special header, but I can ask.  I'll pass along what you've
said to them as well; I think that they'll agree with you, but I want to make
sure.

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Suggested license mod or FAQ

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <ce...@mail.mil>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 6, 2017, at 6:33 AM, Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) <
> cem.f.karan.civ@mail.mil> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, my name is Cem Karan, and I'm one of those Government employees that
> Chris
> > was talking about.  Is it also possible to clarify the definition of
> Licensor
> > in clause 1?  As a Government employee, my works are in the public
> domain, so
> > there is no copyright holder.  I'd hate to have one of my contributions
> cause
> > headaches because of that.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Cem Karan
>
> FWIW, I don't know why government lawyers can't read the civil code
>
>   https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#105
>
> and figure out that "Copyright protection under this title is not
> available for any work of the United States Government" is not the
> same as saying government employees are incapable of owning copyright.
> The work they are paid to do on behalf of USG (or related to their
> government job) is in the public domain.  The rest of their work
> (the boundaries of which we have no means to assess) might or might
> not be in the public domain.
>
> Regardless, it isn't possible for one of your contributions to cause
> us headaches when it is entirely in the public domain.  By definition,
> that means nobody has the standing in which to cause such a headache,
> nobody can successfully file suit (at least under copyright), and
> thus no court case can proceed.

You hinted at Cem's concerns when you said "at least under copyright". Cem
isn't concerned about copyright infringement, but liability lawsuits.

> The danger for headaches comes from other people who might claim
> (truly or not) to own the copyright in spite of the work's origin.
> There's not much we can do in the license about that.
>
> There are no plans to make any further changes to the Apache License.
> As mentioned previously, a person concerned about the applicability
> of the license to a public domain work can simply add that "the
> license's copyright terms only apply to the extent that copyright
> is actually owned or licensable by the Contributors".  That statement
> can be placed anywhere you like outside the license itself.

I agree. I think it'd be useful for government projects to add this sort of
phrasing to their NOTICE files, if they care about copyright applicability.

However, it'd be a bit tedious for other projects, like many of those in
the ASF, which might contain portions which are public domain. So, while
there are no current plans to make any changes to the license, I think it'd
probably be good to consider some sort of generic severability clause to
accompany any future versions of the license, if it ever becomes necessary
or desirable to produce a new version of the license.

> The reason that isn't said in the license is because the copyright
> terms merely provide a permission that isn't needed without copyright.
> It is completely irrelevant whether they apply to any given piece
> of work in the public domain.

That's not entirely true. In addition to explicitly providing permissions,
the right to redistribute is conditional on certain restrictions in section
4, paragraphs a-d. For the portions which are public domain, these
restrictions cannot be carried.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.