Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2005/03/15 21:17:19 UTC

Re: What is a healthy community?

Here is my understanding of the discussion so far.

On the notion of responsibility:

There seems to be some confusion in the interpretation of a PMC
engaging its responsibility. When a PMC vouches for a release, it
vouches for the open development model as well as availability of
development resources ensuring future development. In other words,
accepting responsibility means vouching for the model as well as
resources.

Roy pointed out the distinction between vouching for the model and
vouching for resources. However, his later remarks about umbrella
projects lead me to believe that he doesn't think the distinction to
be important.

On the notion of community:

The ASF considers any project with less then 3 active committers as
not having a community. The consensus on the number 3 can be described
as very solid, if not frozen. My implicit suggestion to consider 2 as
an alternative was not well received.

--
Ceki Gülcü

Re: What is a healthy community?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Mar 16, 2005, at 12:44 PM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> At 09:26 PM 3/15/2005, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>>> On the notion of community:
>>>
>>> The ASF considers any project with less then 3 active committers as
>>> not having a community. The consensus on the number 3 can be
>>> described
>>> as very solid, if not frozen. My implicit suggestion to consider 2 as
>>> an alternative was not well received.
>>
>> Yes. The ASF requires at least a threesome, if not a full-fledged
>> orgy :)
>
> The  3+ rule  tries  to  capture the  subtle  notion of  collaborative
> development.    By  collaboration,   do  we   mean   intra-project  or
> inter-project collaboration.  The 3+  rule only relates to the former,
> but what about collaboration between projects?

It is hoped, and expected, that ASF project will (as the cliche'
goes) "eat our own dog food." In other words, not on will
projects (and sub-projects) used each others' applications and
programs, but that cross-pollination of contributors is welcomed
and encouraged.

Re: What is a healthy community?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Mar 15, 2005, at 3:17 PM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Roy pointed out the distinction between vouching for the model and
> vouching for resources. However, his later remarks about umbrella
> projects lead me to believe that he doesn't think the distinction to
> be important.

Not speaking for Roy, but I think that Roy's comment *may* be
based on the not-so-good experience we've had with umbrella
projects and oversight.