Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Subir Sengupta <su...@walmart.com> on 2002/06/13 00:48:59 UTC

Exception Handling

Hi,

I'd like to be able to trap all exceptions and show users a friendly error
page.  I know I can specify which exception to trap in the web.xml file and
what error pages to display. But it seems that will only trap exceptions
that I specify and let any other exceptions through!  So that doesn't seem
like a very practical way to deal with exceptions.

When an exception is thrown, Tomcat prints the stacktrace to the browser.
Is there a way to hook into this mechanism and have Tomcat display an error
page instead.  Also I'd like to have an email with the exception sent to me.

There may already be a way to do this that I don't know about.  Any pointers
are appreciated.

I'm using Tomcat 4.0.3 on linux.