Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Voytenko, Dimitry" <dv...@sectordata.com> on 2002/12/19 03:36:56 UTC

RE: Extracting information from XML files

Hi Dima,

You can try using org.apache.xpath.XPathAPI:
    http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/apidocs/org/apache/xpath/XPathAPI.html
<http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/apidocs/org/apache/xpath/XPathAPI.html>

It goes with Xalan 2 distribution, but as you can see it's in separate
package.
It's fairly easy to use and sounds like exactly what you want.

You can check out Xalan's sample ApplyXPath, which uses this class:
    http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/samples.html#applyxpath
<http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/samples.html#applyxpath>

Thanks,
Dmitry

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
On Thursday, 12/19/2002 at 09:10 EST, "Rick Bullotta"
<ri...@lighthammer.com> wrote:
> I is simple as long as there  aren't default namespaces in the XML
> document...<g>.  Then it  gets  UGGGLY! ;>
>
> Hopefully the W3C will come  through with something in XSLT 2.X.

I forgot to add: XPath 2.0 *does* currently plan to add the ability to set
a default namespace for the XPath. Unfortunately that still doesn't deal
with the situation where someone redefines the default partway through the
document, so it doesn't handle all the cases. And as far as I know it
still doesn't have a syntax for  defining the namespaces in the XPath
string itself., which I'd really like to see.

RE: Extracting information from XML files

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
<ri...@lighthammer.com> wrote:
> I is simple as long as there  aren't default namespaces in the XML
> document...<g>.  Then it  gets  UGGGLY! ;>

Not horribly ugly -- you just have to remember to map the _namespaces_ in
your XPath, not just to use corresponding prefixes. The same complication
arises if the XML document redeclared a prefix; you need to use separate
prefixes for the two different namespace URIs when writing your XPath.

For an overview of how to deal with this, see
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/faq.html#faq-N101B9

(I do wish XPath had a non-prefix-based version of its syntax. It'd be
extremely wordy, but it'd be a lot more robust and easier to generate. I'm
considering proposing that they add that alternative in XPath 2.0...)

RE: Extracting information from XML files

Posted by Rick Bullotta <ri...@lighthammer.com>.
I is simple as long as there aren't default namespaces in the XML
document...<g>.  Then it gets  UGGGLY! ;>

Hopefully the W3C will come through with something in XSLT 2.X.

Rick Bullotta
CTO
Lighthammer Software (www.lighthammer.com)