Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/04 02:56:42 UTC

Where are all the commits?

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dmitry Gusev: +1 (non-binding)
>

> I like seeing that new Tapestry committers appear,
> but looking at git logs I see that (almost) the only core committer is
> Howard.

Well, I am the most invested in things.

> Other committers do some rare, though valuable, fixes and apply patches
> from JIRA.

And that is valuable in and off itself.

> From this point of view, it appears to me that having Tapestry committer
> status means
> you can apply patches, but not develop new functionality in core,
> which I would expect from Tapestry committer when voting for him.

No the problem is committers who are not committing. Tapestry is
specifically designed so that it can support a wide number of committers
with different skill sets: you don't have to be a bytecode wizard to make
significant improvements to the code base. I know I'd appreciate the help!

> We can see that most of tapestry5 development now is third party
> development
> which occurs on GitHub and other separate repositories, resulting in a
> tapestry-complement libraries,
> like tapestry5-jquery, tynamo, stitch, tapestry-bootstrap and many other
> wonderful projects.
>
> This is great, though, these projects stand aside from main tapestry
> development,
> and most of them appear outdated after new tapestry releases
> because they released separately from tapestry core.
>
> I'd really like to see more developers of those libraries as Tapestry
> committers so that they
> can support their own 3rd party libraries compatibilities as a part of main
> tapestry development,
> and may be hold tapestry core releases until all those libraries are
> up-to-date with new tapestry release.

We are open to active members of the community requesting committer status.
The worst result from that would be a reminder about Apache standards for
earning commit privileges.

That doesn't mean we should open up the floodgates!  Worse than few commits
or committers would be "dump-and-run" committers; we had some of that in
the T4 days.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Where are all the commits?

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Its more clear now, thanks.

Re: Where are all the commits?

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: Where are all the commits?

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Dmitry,

I'm not a member of Tapestry team but here is my view as Apache committer.

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Still my question remains:
>
> What do you expect from a person when you invite him as a committer to
> Tapestry project?

Nothing. We just hope that (s)he will continue to help the best way (s)he
can.
A person gains the committer status for what (s)he has done before for the
project. Not for promising that (s)he will do something in the future.
This could be: helping other users, providing patches, writing docs/books,

Apache is volunteer based organization so you cannot expect anything from
anyone.
By inviting a new member the team hope that (s)he will be still active and
will help further with the development.
But the new member can change her/his job soon after joining and then stop
using the technology, so (s)he will not have
a reason to do new development but still can help in the forums and in
taking decisions about the future.

Re: Where are all the commits?

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Still my question remains: