Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Craig Dayton <ca...@wavecable.com> on 2008/06/15 19:06:14 UTC

stub file support

Just curious if there is effort to support the concept of a stub files on
the client side.

My meaning of this is the client could execute something like:

svn stub C:\somedir\somebigfile.txt

The source file/s would be committed if necessary, but the resulting file
would still exist on the client but would be a stub file pointing to the SVN
location.  If the file needed to be accessed again, a svn checkout would
have to be performed.

Thanks, Craig

Re: stub file support

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org> wrote:

> It seems fairly likely that per-file 'svn switch' (which is currently
> per-directory) will be in 1.6.

Huh?  'svn switch' has always worked on single files.

RE: stub file support

Posted by Craig Dayton <ca...@wavecable.com>.
Thanks for the response.

Actually, the desired functionality is to have a stub file referencing the
same repository but the file would not contain any data other than a
reference to the repository.

A similar behavior can be done with the existing version by deleting all the
files beneath the checkout directory (except .svn) using the file system
delete.  Now in order to get a listing of the files in the checked out
directory, one has to browse the repository. Having a stub file on the
client would avoid a trip to the repository for the list of files.  Other
benefits include less local disk space usage and reduced load on the server
(less browsing).

-Craig

> My meaning of this is the client could execute something like:
>
> svn stub C:\somedir\somebigfile.txt
>
> The source file/s would be committed if necessary, but the resulting
> file would still exist on the client but would be a stub file pointing
> to the SVN location.  If the file needed to be accessed again, a svn
> checkout would have to be performed.

It seems fairly likely that per-file 'svn switch' (which is currently
per-directory) will be in 1.6.  That would do more or less what you want.
Per-file externals seem to be on the way too.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

Re: stub file support

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.