Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Raghuveer Kancherla <ra...@aplopio.com> on 2010/01/18 12:41:38 UTC

Updating a single field in a Solr document

Hi,
I have 2 fields one with captures the category of the documents and an other
which is a pre processed text of the document. Text of the document is
fairly large.
The category of the document changes often while the text remains the same.
Search happens on both fields.

The problem is, I have to index both the text and the category each time the
category changes. The text being large obviously makes this suboptimal. Is
there a patch or a tricky way to avoid indexing the text field every time.

Thanks,
Raghu

Re: Updating a single field in a Solr document

Posted by Mauricio Scheffer <ma...@gmail.com>.
Here's the corresponding issue:

Posted by Raghuveer Kancherla <ra...@aplopio.com>.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Raghuveer Kancherla <
> raghuveer.kancherla@aplopio.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> I have 2 fields one with captures the category of the documents and an
>> other
>> which is a pre processed text of the document. Text of the document is
>> fairly large.
>> The category of the document changes often while the text remains the same.
>> Search happens on both fields.
>>
>> The problem is, I have to index both the text and the category each time
>> the
>> category changes. The text being large obviously makes this suboptimal. Is
>> there a patch or a tricky way to avoid indexing the text field every time.
>>

> Sure, make the text field as stored, read the old document and create the
> new one. Sorry, there is no way to update an indexed document in Solr (yet).

Could you use SolrJ to grab a record, convert it over to an input record
and update the one field? I suppose Solr would still reindex the whole
thing, but at least you wouldn't have to do full pre-processing on the
source.

Richard

Re: Updating a single field in a Solr document

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.