Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kristian Spangsege <ks...@instadia.net> on 2005/05/27 11:57:54 UTC

Is there a tentative plan for the date of a new rlease of FOP?

Hi,

As we probably all are, I'm waiting in anticipation for a new release of
FOP. It seems to me, that a lot of development has been taking place
after the latest official release, and I relly would like to try the new
things out. Is there a tentative plan for the date of a new rlease of FOP?

-Kristian

Re: Is there a tentative plan for the date of a new rlease of FOP?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Every few weeks the same question, every time the same answer. :-)

When we have a release plan we will publish it. We're still on course
for a first developer release in the second half of 2005. The FOP status
page is still valid:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/status.html

Until then, please be patient or help us. I've just updated the informal
TODO list on the Wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPProjectTasks

There are a lot of not so difficult things people can helps us with.
It's not necessary to familiarize yourself with the rather complex
layout engine. Even with basic XML and XSL-FO knowledge you can already
help us, namely by creating test cases.

If you download the source code from CVS you can already try the new FOP
today. Just don't expect any wonders, yet. A lot of things work now but
many, many things probably won't.

If you just want to see a high-level overview over what has been done,
you can look at the news page in the Wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPNews

If you want to follow closely what's going on, subscribe to the fop-dev
and fop-commits mailing lists so you can do some eavesdropping on us
developers.

BTW, a big thanks to the people who help answering questions on this
mailing list. That frees us developers from an important piece of
time-consuming work.

On 27.05.2005 11:57:54 Kristian Spangsege wrote:
> As we probably all are, I'm waiting in anticipation for a new release of
> FOP. It seems to me, that a lot of development has been taking place
> after the latest official release, and I relly would like to try the new
> things out. Is there a tentative plan for the date of a new rlease of FOP?

Jeremias Maerki