Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Magesh Umasankar <um...@rediffmail.com> on 2001/11/05 20:54:07 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Checksum - a task to calculate checksums for files.

Checksum Task
=============

I propose to create a task named checksum that allows
the user to generate checksums for files.

The task would take in these attributes:

1. file (optional if nested fileset is used)
2. algorithm (optional, defaults to MD5). Other
   algorithms like SHA, etc. will be supported.
3. tofile - mandatory (to store generated checksums)

   tofile's contents would be in the following format:

   filename:checksum

Use Case:
========

The step in the build that follows a successful compile,
test and packaging is distribution.  It has become a
standard practice to distribute the file's checksum so
that the one who is downloading can check the
distribution's completeness.  A task that can compute
such a checksum, given a file, would thus be a natural
fit into the build process.

Your Inputs Please:
==================

1. Do you consider such a task useful?
2. What other features would you want to see added to
   this task?
3. Has such a task already been proposed and/or
   rejected? (I did my homework, and couldn't find any.)

Thanks,
Magesh

Re: [PROPOSAL] Checksum - a task to calculate checksums for files.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 5 Nov 2001, Magesh Umasankar <um...@rediffmail.com> wrote:

> It has become a standard practice to distribute the file's checksum
> so that the one who is downloading can check the distribution's
> completeness.

I don't trust MD5 checksums as much as signatures 8-)

> 1. Do you consider such a task useful?

yes - that way I don't need to remember which package the md5 command
belongs to ...

Stefan