Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/06 17:50:42 UTC

Javassist 3.11 no good?

I'm getting class loader errors with Javassist 3.11 ... I'm reverting
to 3.9 and they go away.

I have some ideas for API changes to start putting the amount of
dynamic code generated on a diet and eventually allow for a transition
to a non-Javassist method of bytecode enhancement.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Javassist 3.11 no good?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I was hoping that 3.11 would be *more* (not *less*) compatible with
JDK 1.6.  Oh well.

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM, David Rees <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm getting class loader errors with Javassist 3.11 ... I'm reverting
>> to 3.9 and they go away.
>
> I've also had weird classloader issues with 3.11.0 and Tapestry.  Had
> to revert back to 3.10.0 to get things working again.
>
> -Dave

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Javassist 3.11 no good?

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Javassist 3.11 no good?

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, then you get into the business of submitting JARs to the central
> maven repository which is a pain. JBoss maintains a perfectly good
> repo ... the problem is that Javassist 3.11 misbehaves (on mine and
> other machines).

Indeed 3.11 has caused me class loading issues on various projects on
various machine (all unix) with various JDK but all 1.6 so i guess
there's something.
I didn't have had the time to go deeper since all projects (3) even if
they use the current trunk they're in production (they're all internal
applications which make things easier for me)

As already said reverting to 3.9 makes everything works as expected.

Not have the needs for any particular API present in 3.11 and not in
3.9 makes the choice to stick with 3.9 the good one, while looking at
a transition to leave javassist could be good. ASM has worked nicely
for me and the time could be good too.

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Javassist 3.11 no good?

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr> wrote:

> Actually, I meant it as a rule for all dependencies Tapestry has at
> the time of a release - they all need to exist in central

Then It all starts to become very restrictive, nice but very restrictive.

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Javassist 3.11 no good?

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
>> Anyway, perhaps we need to run a vote on the matter...
>
> ... are you talking about sticking with the central of javassist?

Actually, I meant it as a rule for all dependencies Tapestry has at
the time of a release - they all need to exist in central

> Cheers
> --
> Massimo
> http://meridio.blogspot.com

Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer
Open Source / JEE Consulting

Re: Javassist 3.11 no good?

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr> wrote:

> You're talking about https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JASSIST-96 ?
> Perhaps there's a reason for it being a pain - i prefer to just trust as few
> repos as possible (helps with repeatable builds, a better world, e.t.c.).
> In fact, i've read that central will only accept artifacts that don't depend on
> other repos - not sure when this will be enforced but it makes sense.

I don't see it in the near future but it would be nice to have...

Re: Javassist 3.11 no good?

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: Javassist 3.11 no good?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Well, then you get into the business of submitting JARs to the central
maven repository which is a pain. JBoss maintains a perfectly good
repo ... the problem is that Javassist 3.11 misbehaves (on mine and
other machines).

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr> wrote:
> Actually at some point i've done a similar update in the 5.0 branch (i think)
> but then i noticed that 3.11 is not available in central (see
> http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/javassist/javassist/ )
> so I reverted back.
> It's also considered a best practice to not require any external repositories
> other than central - how about sticking to that?
>
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 18:50, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm getting class loader errors with Javassist 3.11 ... I'm reverting
>> to 3.9 and they go away.
>>
>> I have some ideas for API changes to start putting the amount of
>> dynamic code generated on a diet and eventually allow for a transition
>> to a non-Javassist method of bytecode enhancement.
>>
>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry

>> (971) 678-5210