Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2014/03/03 11:21:19 UTC

[Tomcat Wiki] Update of "FAQ/Linux_Unix" by KonstantinKolinko

Dear Wiki user,

The "FAQ/Linux_Unix" page has been changed by KonstantinKolinko:
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Linux_Unix?action=diff&rev1=10&rev2=11

Comment:
Amend "Linux distributions" section

  That is because each of these packages distributes the files of Tomcat
  in different places on the disk, sets different environment variables,
  sets different links from one directory to the other in the filesystem, etc..
+ Moreover, some of those packages are notably outdated.
+
  So it would be better to install a "standard" tomcat downloaded from
  the website [[http://tomcat.apache.org/]], to some directory like `/opt/tomcat`,
  and follow the instructions that are given in the "RUNNING.txt" file.
@@ -29, +31 @@

  Several notes:

-  * Download a "binary" version. Either a "tar.gz" or a "zip" file is fine. There is usually no need to re-compile Tomcat from the source code.
+  * Download a "binary" version. There is usually no need to re-compile Tomcat from the source code.
-  * The "tar.gz" files use GNU extensions to the tar file format. You need a GNU-compatible version of `tar` to unpack them.
+  * Either a "tar.gz" or a "zip" file is fine. The "tar.gz" files use GNU extensions to the tar file format (as mentioned in "README" file in the download area). You need a GNU-compatible version of `tar` to unpack them.
   * Learn how to run Tomcat with separate values of `CATALINA_HOME` and `CATALINA_BASE`, as explained in "RUNNING.txt". This will simplify further upgrades and maintenance.

  <<Anchor(Q1)>>'''When I run ps (on Linux), why do I see my java process a bazillion times!'''

Re: [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "FAQ/Linux_Unix" by KonstantinKolinko

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 18/03/2014 20:49, Christopher Schultz a écrit :

> Tomcat 8 is just on the verge of being voted stable. Once the first
> stable release of Tomcat 8 is available, could you do a package-refresh?

Yes definitely. Introducing a new package into Debian takes some time,
but pushing an update is much easier. Updates can be prepared by anyone
willing to do the work, it's often just a matter or refreshing some
patches. If someone here is interested in pushing updates I can walk him
through the process.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "FAQ/Linux_Unix" by KonstantinKolinko

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Emmanuel,

On 3/17/14, 9:13 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 03/03/2014 13:40, Brian Burch a écrit :
>
>> If you need some help (perhaps QA testing), please let me know.
>
> Thank you for offering your help Brian. Tomcat 7.0.52 is now available
> for Debian Wheezy through the backports [1]. Tomcat 8 has been submitted
> and is awaiting to be reviewed. If it goes well it may be available in
> the backports in one month.

I also appreciate the work you are doing, here.

The current release 8.0.3 was voted beta and does have a number of
problems that make its use in production a Bad Idea.

Tomcat 8 is just on the verge of being voted stable. Once the first
stable release of Tomcat 8 is available, could you do a package-refresh?
It would certainly help early adoption of Tomcat 8 which is quite good
and has a lot of desirable features for our users.

-chris

Re: [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "FAQ/Linux_Unix" by KonstantinKolinko

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 17/03/14 13:13, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 03/03/2014 13:40, Brian Burch a écrit :
>
>> If you need some help (perhaps QA testing), please let me know.
>
> Thank you for offering your help Brian. Tomcat 7.0.52 is now available
> for Debian Wheezy through the backports [1]. Tomcat 8 has been submitted
> and is awaiting to be reviewed. If it goes well it may be available in
> the backports in one month.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg
>
> [1] https://packages.debian.org/source/wheezy-backports/tomcat7

Hi, Emmanuel.

I have downloaded your packages and will try them out during this week.

I suspect the tomcat dev list is not the right place to discuss testing
these packages in detail. Unless you say otherwise, I will email you
directly with any observations.

Regards,

Brian

Re: [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "FAQ/Linux_Unix" by KonstantinKolinko

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 03/03/14 11:16, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 03/03/2014 11:21, Apache Wiki a écrit :
>
>>    That is because each of these packages distributes the files of Tomcat
>>    in different places on the disk, sets different environment variables,
>>    sets different links from one directory to the other in the filesystem, etc..
>> + Moreover, some of those packages are notably outdated.
>
> But some people try hard to make them current ! :)

That is good to hear!

> Tomcat 7.0.52 is in Debian unstable [1] and I plan to backport it to the
> stable distribution which is stuck with 7.0.28 + security fixes. The
> package for Tomcat 8 is ready [2] and will be uploaded once EasyMock has
> been upgraded.

I like the way the debian/ubuntu package installs, but I moved away from
7.0.28 a very long time ago. My present strategy is to build my
preferred version (currently 7.0.52) from source, then deploy it to
replace the 7.0.28 specific content. Using CATALINA_HOME and
CATALINA_BASE as recommended by the tc-devs certainly makes this
approach less painful.

As you will have noticed already, the main responders on the tc-users
list have learned the hard way that it is difficult to help people who
are stuck on an obsolete version because they took the "safe and easy"
option to install their O/S distribution maintainer's "stable" package.

If you need some help (perhaps QA testing), please let me know.

Thanks for the work so far, and the good intentions!

Brian

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.