Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> on 2012/06/22 21:13:51 UTC

419 spammers aren't morons after all

Not sure if everybody's seen this yet:

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/167719/WhyFromNigeria.pdf

Some discussion here:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2012/06/far-fetched_sca.html

   Ignorance doesn't make stuff not exist.               -- Bucky Katt
  12 days until the 236th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence

R: 419 spammers aren't morons after all

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <gi...@tomassoni.biz>.

I agree with you. The MS paper says how it works. It is not meant to say why
scammers got to work that way.

Giampaolo

Re: 419 spammers aren't morons after all

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
On 2012/06/22 14:23, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 6/22/2012 3:13 PM, John Hardin wrote:
>>
>> Not sure if everybody's seen this yet:
>>
>> http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/167719/WhyFromNigeria.pdf
>>
>> Some discussion here:
>>
>> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2012/06/far-fetched_sca.html
>>

> It's certainly interesting but it's a hard document to swallow. They
> purposefully try and make their pool lower by making the scam so stupid that
> anyone who falls for it is clearly a good mark?
>
> My anecdotal research combines more with low-paid labor who simply follow what
> has worked combined with massive inequities in scales of economy that I don't
> see well reflected in this research.
>
> Regards,
> KAM

Nigerian spam is an industry in Nigeria (and other places, I presume.)
It is all little operators. These operators spit out their spams. The
ones who hit the right formula survive and teach the next generation.
The others fail. We have a genetic algorithm in action.

Posted by Dave Warren <li...@hireahit.com>.
On 6/22/2012 2:23 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> It's certainly interesting but it's a hard document to swallow. They
> purposefully try and make their pool lower by making the scam so
> stupid that anyone who falls for it is clearly a good mark?
>
> My anecdotal research combines more with low-paid labor who simply
> follow what has worked combined with massive inequities in scales of
> economy that I don't see well reflected in this research.

There is at least some logic to the underlying concept, although I doubt
they sat down and thought about it, I suspect that they threw 100 types
of poop at the wall, picked the 3 that stuck best and kept flinging them.

Put another way, the ones that figure it out half way through probably
cost the actual scammer far more than throwing out 10x-100x attempts
targetting only the dumbest of the dumb.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/

Re: 419 spammers aren't morons after all

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.