Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan Golob <zh...@zsolutionz.com> on 2006/05/21 13:03:55 UTC

Problem with Tomcat Unexpectedly Shutting Down

Hello Everyone,

This is a repost of a prior error which was never solved.

We are having a strange Tomcat issue on one of our client's machines.  The
problem is that it shuts down randomly.  There is nothing in the Tomcat Log
to indicate why this is occurring, and the Windows Event Manager simply
states that the process "shut down unexpectedly".  We have tried recreating
this problem in-house, but have absolutely no luck.

We are running tomcat 5.0.27 and Java 1.4.2_06.  The machine that this is
installed on is Windows 2003 with all the latest updates.  Tomcat is running
in standalone mode, meaning without Apache.  One other thing to note, this
installation of tomcat is using Load balancing.

If anyone can point me in a direction of where to look, it would be very
helpful.  I have scoured the internet and newsgroups but can't find a
similar problem anywhere.

Recently, another installation of ours shut down with the exact same
problem.  We have avoided reinstalling everything because we weren't
convinced that this would solve anything.  During our research we came up
with a great number of leads, but none of them seemed to work.  Please, if
you have any information as to how to solve this problem, or even where to
look for more information it would be most helpful.  We are primarily
developers with very little knowledge of Tomcat as a whole, so we are
struggling to find a solution.

Thanks in advance
Dan

Re: Problem with Tomcat Unexpectedly Shutting Down

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Afternoon Dan

If your configuration mirrors everything about the clients environment
(HW/SW JVM / OS / Memory /TCP/IP Stack/ Diskspace /installed
utilities)environment (when I say everything I mean right to the letter
grade version of JVM)
with the only EXCEPTION you are not running the balancer
AND you have run every burn-in and smoke test without so much as a hiccup
with DEBUG LOGGING turned on
then the delta IS THE BALANCER there can be NO OTHER REASON

Talk to the vendor who sold them the balancer and ask their assistance
.make sure you go straight to the engineers and write EVERYTHING down they
say to do
and repreat it back to them
Install a fresh copy of the balancer which the company states is supported
(dont get trapped by we only support version 1B and not 1A)

If for whatever reason the vendor isnt responsive (no answer in 48 hours)
then notify the client that the balancer as 'unsupported' and must be backed
out of the client's env
As a very necessary cya Get your managers to rework any documentation to
specifically exclude items installed by foreign vendors
(A Foreign Vendor is anyone but yourself)

My undertstanding of balancer is that they balance the webapp software OR
they are HW based in which case they can balance multiple hosts
I know someone that knows balancers quite well if you provide me the vendor
name offline I'll ask him tommorrow

Good Luck/Viel Gluck
Martin --

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
When starting a new thread (ie sending a message to the list about a
new topic) please do not reply to an existing message and change the
subject line. To many of the list archiving services and mail clients
used by list subscribers this  makes your new message appear as part
of the old thread. This makes it harder for other users to find
relevant information when searching the lists.

This is known as thread hijacking and is that is frowned
upon on this list. Frequent offenders will be removed from the list.
It should also be noted that many list subscribers automatically
ignore any messages that hijack another thread.

The correct procedure is to create a new message with a new subject.
This will start a new thread.

Mark
tomcat-user-owner

Re: Problem with Tomcat Unexpectedly Shutting Down

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 5/21/06, Dan Golob <zh...@zsolutionz.com> wrote:

> We are having a strange Tomcat issue on one of our client's machines.  The
> problem is that it shuts down randomly.  There is nothing in the Tomcat Log
> to indicate why this is occurring, and the Windows Event Manager simply
> states that the process "shut down unexpectedly".

What level of logging are you running? If not at DEBUG, you might
try  cranking that up -- generates a lot of data, so maybe rotate logs
hourly or so  :-)

Also, you might try running visualgc against that system; at least if
(when!) it dies again you'll have a snapshot of memory use leading
up to the end, which might offer some clues.

You could also use the Tomcat manager interface to grab status
from the system periodically for post-crash analysis.

HTH!