Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by paul <sa...@gmx.ch> on 2006/09/14 11:40:57 UTC

keep-with-next causes last row of previous table to come along

Hello all
I find this odd: When I use keep-with-next on the first row of a table,
what happens ist that the last row of the table before to come along
onto the next page.

What I have:
Table A with 5 rows
Table B with 2 rows

What I'd like to achieve:
I want the two rows of table B to stay together, if they don't fit on
the first page anymore, they should move to the next page

First attempt:
Table B, Row2: keep-with-previous="always"
Result: nothing happens, Row2 is printed separately from Row1 at
beginning of 2nd page

Second attempt:
Table B, Row1: keep-with-next="always"
Result: The two rows are keeping together as wished, BUT: Row5 of
Table A comes along too, being printed on top of page 2.

Any idea what's going on here?
I appreciate any suggestions, corrections, work-arounds. I'm also
 interested in learning, why the first attempt doesn't show any changes.

cheers

Re: keep-with-next causes last row of previous table to come along

Posted by paul <sa...@gmx.ch>.
thanks chris, you were right. In the meantime I had sent the fo-file to
J.Maerki, and he recommended the same as you (acknowledging though that it is
some kind of exception that will be fixed).
cheers,and thanks everyone for the support&development

Re: keep-with-next causes last row of previous table to come along

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
paul wrote:
> ok, why first attempt doesn't work is clear now, it's not implemented yet
>
> my workaround for the moment: Between Table A and Table B I insert an empty
> Block. Now everything works as I'd like it to.
>
> So maybe this is a BUG???

Doesnt sound like a bug to me. keep-with-next only tells the formatter
to make sure the following object starts on the same page as the first
object. (objects in your case is table-row) It does not prevent the
formatter from breaking the objects themselves. So in theory, the
formatter could start the second object but then before any actual
content is placed, a break is allowed and the rest of the object occurs
on the next page.

So when working with keep-with-* properties, keep-together should be set
as well to give the results you expect.

In one of the earlier examples you gave, it looks like you could easily
solve your problem just by adding keep-together="always" onto the second
fo:table object. This would be much easier than specifying
keep-with-next and keep-together on every row in the table.

Chris

Re: keep-with-next causes last row of previous table to come along

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Please provide a sample FO document (no XSLT) so we can easily reproduce.

On 14.09.2006 15:07:15 paul wrote:
> ok, why first attempt doesn't work is clear now, it's not implemented yet
>
> my workaround for the moment: Between Table A and Table B I insert an empty
> Block. Now everything works as I'd like it to.
>
> So maybe this is a BUG???

Jeremias Maerki

Re: keep-with-next causes last row of previous table to come along