Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Esben Nielsen <es...@terma.com> on 2008/09/01 14:04:41 UTC

svn log -v very slow

We have set up subversion and CruiseControl. Whenever CruiseControl
checks for changes on the subversion with "svn log -v -r{timestamps}"
the operation itself takes a very long time AND every other concurrent
operation, like browsing the reporsitory from Eclipse, takes a very long
time.

When CruiseControl is not doing "svn log" everything is fairly
responsive.

But top shows no CPU nor much IO usage. What makes subversion so slow?

CruiseControl is running on the same host as subversion but using svn://
Subversion version is 1.5.1 and OS is Fedora 8 x86_64.

Esben

Re: svn very slow (was Re: svn log -v very slow)

Posted by Marshall White <ma...@pobox.com>.
> So I started to use strace to figure out what was happening. It turned
> out it is blocking on
> /dev/random
>
> So because we don't have enough entropy on our server Subversion is
> slow!
>
> What should I change in my config solve this?

If you compiled Subversion from source, you may be experiencing this
problem:
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#slow-private-svnserve

Marshall

svn very slow (was Re: svn log -v very slow)

Posted by Esben Nielsen <es...@terma.com>.
On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 16:04 +0200, Esben Nielsen wrote:
> We have set up subversion and CruiseControl. Whenever CruiseControl
> checks for changes on the subversion with "svn log -v -r{timestamps}"
> the operation itself takes a very long time AND every other concurrent
> operation, like browsing the reporsitory from Eclipse, takes a very long
> time.
>
> When CruiseControl is not doing "svn log" everything is fairly
> responsive.
>
> But top shows no CPU nor much IO usage. What makes subversion so slow?
>
> CruiseControl is running on the same host as subversion but using svn://
> Subversion version is 1.5.1 and OS is Fedora 8 x86_64.
>
> Esben

I have tried to kill off CruiseControl and there are therefore rarely
any access to the repository; but when I run

while true; do time svn update <somefile (not dir)>; done

I get outputs in the order of 30-40 seconds!!

Re: svn log -v very slow

Posted by Esben Nielsen <es...@terma.com>.
On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 03:16 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2008, at 1:25 AM, N D wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Esben Nielsen wrote:
> >
> >> We have set up subversion and CruiseControl. Whenever CruiseControl
> >> checks for changes on the subversion with "svn log -v -r{timestamps}"
> >> the operation itself takes a very long time AND every other
> >> concurrent
> >> operation, like browsing the reporsitory from Eclipse, takes a
> >> very long
> >> time.
> >>
> >> When CruiseControl is not doing "svn log" everything is fairly
> >> responsive.
> >>
> >> But top shows no CPU nor much IO usage. What makes subversion so
> >> slow?
> >>
> >> CruiseControl is running on the same host as subversion but using
> >> svn://
> >> Subversion version is 1.5.1 and OS is Fedora 8 x86_64.
> >
> > I have a similar experience. When I do a svn log -v, no arguments
> > would mean it would log changes on the WC, it runs very slow.
>
> I think I remember something about the log getting slow if the
> requested revision range contains a revision that touches *many*
> files or directories. Do you have a revision in which you imported
> hundreds or thousands of files at once, maybe to import a large
> existing project?

As CruiseControl checks for changes since last build (based on
timestamps), that problem might occur once someone have checked in a lot
of files; but as soon as CruiseControl have build the system and
thereafter starts asking for the log since a later timestamp, the
problem should go away.

Esben

Re: svn log -v very slow

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: svn log -v very slow

Posted by N D <ni...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Esben Nielsen <es...@terma.com> wrote:

> We have set up subversion and CruiseControl. Whenever CruiseControl
> checks for changes on the subversion with "svn log -v -r{timestamps}"
> the operation itself takes a very long time AND every other concurrent
> operation, like browsing the reporsitory from Eclipse, takes a very long
> time.
>
> When CruiseControl is not doing "svn log" everything is fairly
> responsive.
>
> But top shows no CPU nor much IO usage. What makes subversion so slow?
>
> CruiseControl is running on the same host as subversion but using svn://
> Subversion version is 1.5.1 and OS is Fedora 8 x86_64.
>
> Esben

Niranjan Deshpande

"Shut yourself from the world and create the reality you want"