Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Phillips, Bruce A" <bp...@ku.edu> on 2008/10/27 17:50:05 UTC

Struts 2 JasperReports Plugin How to Use XML As The Data Source

I'm working on a Struts 2 web application (using Struts version 2.1.2)
that needs to take an XML file and create a PDF report.  I've previously
used the Struts 2 JasperReports plugin to generate a PDF but my data
source was an ArrayList.  For example see:

http://www.brucephillips.name/blog/index.cfm/2008/7/12/Using-The-JasperR
eports-Struts2-Plugin-A-Main-Report-And-A-Subreport

I've not been able to find a good example of using the Struts 2
JasperReport plugin with a data source of XML.  If anyone knows of a
good example please reply.

Here is where I think I'm stuck.  In my struts.xml file I have this
action defined:

            <action name="myJasperTest" class="action.JasperAction">

                  <result name="success" type="jasper">

                        <param
name="location">/jasper/PeopleXMLReport.jasper</param>

                        <param name="dataSource">Xml</param>

                        <param name="format">PDF</param>

                  </result>

                  <result name="error" type="jasper">/Error.jsp</result>

            </action>

The param name="dataSource" with a value of Xml does call the getXml
method in my action.JasperAction class.  This method returns an object
of type org.w3c.dom.Document.  But in my PDF I just get null values.  So
I'm not sure what my getXML method should be returning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

RE: Struts 2 JasperReports Plugin How to Use XML As The Data Source

Posted by "Phillips, Bruce A" <bp...@ku.edu>.
Torsten - That is what I ended up doing as I could not get the Struts 2 JasperReports plug-in to work with the XML data source.

Bruce

Am Montag, 27. Oktober 2008 schrieb Phillips, Bruce A:
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use the stream Result of Struts2 and construct your PDF with Jasper "without
the plugin".
Take a look at the examples of JR (sourcecode included in the JR download) -
there is a good example with XML Datasource too there.
Build your pdf with JRPdfExporter and use StreamResult to get the actual
stream.

Re: Struts 2 JasperReports Plugin How to Use XML As The Data Source

Posted by Torsten Krah <tk...@fachschaft.imn.htwk-leipzig.de>.