Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com> on 2017/02/01 16:27:58 UTC

relevant conferences and meetups on website

Hi,

I wanted to discuss a couple of items. First, as many of you are aware, a
conference specifically for apex, apex big data world 2017, is coming up in
the next couple of months. There is one in Pune India and another in San
Jose, USA. I wanted to see if we can put links/information about it on a
section of the website. Here is the information about the event

http://www.apexbigdata.com/

Other projects like flink, for example, has the details about their
conference flink forward on their website.

Second, we used to have a section on our website that showed upcoming
meetups and conferences. Looks like it has been removed. How about we bring
it back. It can be in a different form, if there were issues with how we
did it before.

While we are discussing the second point can we still go ahead and put up
the links to the above conference on the website as soon as possible as the
events are very close.

Thanks

Re: relevant conferences and meetups on website

Posted by Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com>.
I am ok if there is a volunteer.

Thks
Amol

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.
Thomas,

Relevant event means any event that involves Apex is some form.

Eg:

1. Contributor builds an app using Apex and want to share it with the
community.
2. Contributor builds tool around Apex and wants to share it with the
community.
3. User integrates apex with their existing tools and like to share it with
the community.
4. Contributor organizes a conference for Apex users to meet and share
innovative ideas and implementations.

All of these events in most cases are sponsored by a commercial entity.
That does not mean that the commercial entity is doing product / sales
pitches. That said, I agree that product / sales pitches are not relevant
events.

I would go with a volunteer driven curation of events rather than PMC
approval. PMC can still trust and verify and ask for removal of events that
do no conform to relevancy.

Regards,
Ashwin.

Ashwin.

Re: relevant conferences and meetups on website

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
Does anybody else have a preference or an event they would like to add? If
not it would be good to set this one up starting with the two conference
events.

Thanks

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Michelle Xiao <mi...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.
Michelle,

wrote:

> If these screenshots are still not visible in this email thread, I will
> send them out in another email.
>

> Thanks,
> Michelle

Ashwin.

Re: relevant conferences and meetups on website

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
We are not seeing the screenshots Michelle.

Posted by Michelle Xiao <mi...@datatorrent.com>.
Attached them again.  This time I removed all previous messages.

Re: relevant conferences and meetups on website

Posted by Munagala Ramanath <ra...@datatorrent.com>.
Maybe they are too big and being stripped out by the mail programs ?
'cause I'm still not seeing them.

Ram

Posted by Michelle Xiao <mi...@datatorrent.com>.
Here are the screenshots.

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
Michelle,

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michelle Xiao <mi...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> How about asking for volunteers in the community to manually maintain the
> list. How about the specific request to add the conference link to the main
> page?
>
> Thanks
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com> wrote:
>
> > I agree with Thomas on not putting meetup events. meetup.com does "index
> > by
> > Apex", and the search would simply pick up anyone putting Apex in the
> event
> > and at times they are not relevant to Apex. We get too much clutter. So
> the
> > only way out is to manually select the events, and then take them out
> after
> > they are done. This does not scale well.
> >
> > I however do not agree with a hard filter on vendor content. Apex as a
> > community is losing out on a lot of content that is being created by
> > vendor(s), which helps with adoption. In longer run google search will
> > become more relevant to Apex than apex.apache.org. This is something
> that
> > Apex community should discuss and vote on.
> >
> > Thks
> > Amol
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Since the conference was beforehand discussed with the PMC I think you
> > > could list it under:
> > >
> > > http://apex.apache.org/community.html#events
> > >
> > > There is already a link to all meetup groups that have "Apache Apex" as
> > > topic.
> > >
> > > As for other meetup references, IMO direct vendor meetup group
> references
> > > don't belong on the project web site.
> > >
> > > Thomas
> > >

> > > On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Pramod Immaneni <
> pramod@datatorrent.com>

> > aware, a
> > up
> > > in
> > San
> on

> > > bring
> > we

> put
> > up
> as
> > > the

Ashwin.

Re: relevant conferences and meetups on website

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> wrote:

> Since the conference was beforehand discussed with the PMC I think you
> could list it under:
>
> http://apex.apache.org/community.html#events

How about putting something on the website main page?

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.