Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sajid Syed <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/10 21:27:07 UTC

HDFS block size question

Hello All,

If the HDFS block size is to 128MB on the cluster and on the Client its set
to 64MB, What will be the size of the Block when its written to HDFS.?

Can any please point me to the link where I can find more information.

Thanks

Sajeeth

RE: HDFS block size question

Posted by johny casanova <pc...@outlook.com>.
Hi,

although the cluster has 128MB the client always goes with the configuration local to it. So in this case it will use the 64MB.

RE: HDFS block size question

Posted by johny casanova <pc...@outlook.com>.
Hi,

Re: HDFS block size question

Posted by Shahab Yunus <sh...@gmail.com>.
Check this out:
http://ofirm.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/exploring-the-hdfs-default-value-behaviour/

"It seems that the value of *dfs.block.size* is dictated directly by the
client, regarding of the cluster setting. If a value is not specified, the
client just picks the default value. This finding is not  specific to this
parameter – for example, the same thing happens with*dfs.replication* and
others…."

Regards,
Shahab

Re: HDFS block size question