Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Yves Dorfsman <yv...@zioup.com> on 2009/01/21 14:32:17 UTC

dav_svn and directory hierarchie

I want to bury my repositories under directories, something like:

/svn/marketing/US/proj1
                US/proj2
                EU/proja
                EU/projb
      sales/newcustomers/tracking/traditional
                                  /web

etc....

The last direcotries (the ones at the bottom of the trees) are all
subversion repositories.

Now, if I put:
SVNParentPath /svn

in my httpd.conf, and move proj1 into /svn, I can browse, check out etc...
my project, but as soon as I create one extra layer (eg:
/svn/marketing/proj1), then I cannot access my project, neither with a
browser, nor with svn.

I tried to add "SVNListParentPath on" (and restarted the server), but that
did not change anything.

Is there a way to do this with dav_svn ?

Thanks.

--
Yves.
http://www.sollers.ca/blog

Re: dav_svn and directory hierarchie

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 21, 2009, at 18:42, Yves Dorfsman wrote:

> Yves Dorfsman wrote:
>
>> I want to bury my repositories under directories, something like:
>>
>> /svn/marketing/US/proj1
>>                 US/proj2
>>                 EU/proja
>>                 EU/projb
>>       sales/newcustomers/tracking/traditional
>>                                   /web
>>
>> etc....
>>
>> The last direcotries (the ones at the bottom of the trees) are all
>> subversion repositories.
>>
>> Now, if I put:
>> SVNParentPath /svn
>>
>> in my httpd.conf, and move proj1 into /svn, I can browse, check
>> out etc...
>> my project, but as soon as I create one extra layer (eg:
>> /svn/marketing/proj1), then I cannot access my project, neither
>> with a
>> browser, nor with svn.
>>
>> I tried to add "SVNListParentPath on" (and restarted the server),
>> but that
>> did not change anything.
>>
>> Is there a way to do this with dav_svn ?
>
> I cannot believe nobody run into this problem before. It is typical
> of CVS
> servers to have multiple "modules" under one "repository", and
> multilple
> "repositories" under one "root". A "CVS module" correspond to a
> subversion
> repository. I cannot believe that people have hundreds of svn
> repositories
> into one directory ?
>
> How do you address this ?

The issue has come up several times on this list before. I agree it
would be useful for SVNParentPath to support a hierarchy of
repositories. Unfortunately, it does not support that today.

Re: dav_svn and directory hierarchie

Posted by Brad Stiles <br...@gmail.com>.
> Revision numbers in themselves aren't that significant, but having totally
> different projects in the same directory is wrong,

I think you are mistaken.  It might not be appropriate in all
circumstances, but it certainly isn't "wrong" to organize one's
repository this way.

> I'm sure it will eventually hurt performance

Not that we can tell.  We have several repositories, organized along
lines that make sense for our business, and each one has multiple
projects in it.  One of them has over 300, mostly unrelated, projects
in it.  We see no degradation in performance, even for the overseas
folks.

> (you end up with x times the number of changes
> to your repos, with x being the number of projects inside your repository),

That only matters if the revision number matters with respect to any
given project, which is not the case for it.  Rather than thinking of
the revision number as a version of your project, think of it as a
picture of the reposity as of a given time.  The version of your
project is a different concept from this.

> you end up with tags and branches from one project polluting all your
> projects,

I don't think "polluting" is the right term.  If you organize your
repository along sane lines, no project need interfere, or even
affect, any other project, at any time.

> and then, if a project has to be moved to a different area, now
> you need to somehow split your repository.

Why?

/bs

RE: dav_svn and directory hierarchie

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> > No you've got it right. But, why should you care about that? The
> > revisions numbers shouldn't be significant externally.
>
> Revision numbers in themselves aren't that significant, but having
totally
> different projects in the same directory is wrong, I'm sure it will

Create a folder in your repository for each project.

> eventually hurt performance (you end up with x times the number of
changes
> to your repos, with x being the number of projects inside your
> repository),

Truly... there are people with huge repositories with multiple projects
and performance is one of the few complaints I have ever seen here.

> you end up with tags and branches from one project polluting all your
> projects, and then, if a project has to be moved to a different area,
now
> you need to somehow split your repository.

Not if you organize your folder structure so that your tags and branches
are under each project folder.

Have you red the section in the book that talks about repository
organization?

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn-book.html#svn.tour.importing.layo
ut

Of course, you are welcome to create a repository for each project. But,
I personally think that would be more trouble to manage.

BOb

Re: dav_svn and directory hierarchie

Posted by Yves Dorfsman <yv...@zioup.com>.
Bob Archer wrote:
>> So if I have four projects inside one repository (and in our case, it
> is
>> more like 60 !), no project is made to one project for a year, while
> the
>> other projects are very active, the one project is now a revision N +
> 40,
>> while no change whatsoever has been made to it ?
>>
>> Or am I confused ?
>
> No you've got it right. But, why should you care about that? The
> revisions numbers shouldn't be significant externally.

Revision numbers in themselves aren't that significant, but having totally
different projects in the same directory is wrong, I'm sure it will
eventually hurt performance (you end up with x times the number of changes
to your repos, with x being the number of projects inside your repository),
you end up with tags and branches from one project polluting all your
projects, and then, if a project has to be moved to a different area, now
you need to somehow split your repository.

Now, I've tried to put several SVNParentPath inside one <Location
xxx></Location>, and that does not seem to work. Do you need to use only one
SVNParentPath, or only one SVNPath per <Location> statements, or did I get
something wrong ?

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by Yves Dorfsman <yv...@zioup.com>.
Tony Butt wrote:
>> I cannot believe nobody run into this problem before. It is typical of CVS
>> servers to have multiple "modules" under one "repository", and multilple
>> "repositories" under one "root". A "CVS module" correspond to a subversion
>> repository. I cannot believe that people have hundreds of svn repositories
>> into one directory ?
>>
>> How do you address this ?
>
> You address it by not having one module or project be one subversion
> repository. Effectively you could make the top level directories of four
> subversion repository be equivalent to CVS modules, or you can impose
> any other tree structure you wish.
>
> It is trivial to divide a repository into separate projects, and manage
> multiple projects in a single repository. The most difficult part we
> found was finding a workable directory structure standard, getting 20
> software engineers to agree on it, and then enforcing it.

But then, doesn't this mean that any change in any of the project changes
the version for the whole repository ?

http://www.sollers.ca/blog/2008/

Re: dav_svn and directory hierarchie

Posted by Tony Butt <tj...@cea.com.au>.
On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 17:42 -0700, Yves Dorfsman wrote:
> Yves Dorfsman wrote:
> > I want to bury my repositories under directories, something like:
> >
> > /svn/marketing/US/proj1
> >                 US/proj2
> >                 EU/proja
> >                 EU/projb
> >       sales/newcustomers/tracking/traditional
> >                                   /web
> >
> > etc....
> >
> > The last direcotries (the ones at the bottom of the trees) are all
> > subversion repositories.
> >
> > Now, if I put:
> > SVNParentPath /svn
> >
> > in my httpd.conf, and move proj1 into /svn, I can browse, check out etc...
> > my project, but as soon as I create one extra layer (eg:
> > /svn/marketing/proj1), then I cannot access my project, neither with a
> > browser, nor with svn.
> >
> > I tried to add "SVNListParentPath on" (and restarted the server), but that
> > did not change anything.
> >
> > Is there a way to do this with dav_svn ?
>
> I cannot believe nobody run into this problem before. It is typical of CVS
> servers to have multiple "modules" under one "repository", and multilple
> "repositories" under one "root". A "CVS module" correspond to a subversion
> repository. I cannot believe that people have hundreds of svn repositories
> into one directory ?
>
> How do you address this ?

You address it by not having one module or project be one subversion
repository. Effectively you could make the top level directories of four
subversion repository be equivalent to CVS modules, or you can impose
any other tree structure you wish.

It is trivial to divide a repository into separate projects, and manage
multiple projects in a single repository. The most difficult part we
found was finding a workable directory structure standard, getting 20
software engineers to agree on it, and then enforcing it.

Here we have one repository for all of our software projects ( and there
are quite a few), and one repository for our hardware engineers, who
store and manage FPGA code there.

Tony Butt
CEA Technologies
Canberra, Australia.