Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org> on 2015/12/15 21:11:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Preparing for 0.7.0 Release

Knox dev's -

We need to start locking down the release for 0.7.0.
In preparation of this, Sumit created a branch a week or so ago and we
should start considering the creation of a release candidate.

I believe that I have to update the CHANGES file with an entry for a patch
that I cherry picked into 0.7.0 branch and I will look into that shortly.

Standout features include: KnoxSSO for WebSSO, HA support for numerous
services, diagnostic commands for KnoxCLI, regex based identity
assertion, better control over thread pool, connection queue and
request/response buffers. The ability to proxy Hadoop UIs, CORS support for
cross origin request sharing and more. As well as a number of important bug
fixes.

We do have an important feature coming from the community - specifically
from Jérôme that will be committed in coming days. KNOX-641 adds a
federation provider that integrates pac4j in order to add: OAuth, Facebook,
CAS, SAML, OpenID Connect. I think that this is an exciting integration
that will require a bit of testing before it can be merged into a release
branch.

In my opinion, the set of features and improvements that are currently in
the v0.7.0 branch more than justify a new release and delaying that any
longer would be less than ideal.

Concentrating on defining and testing the usecases that the pac4j provider
will bring to the table post 0.7.0 and coming up with a compelling story
for that feature set can be used to justify a release of its own. I think
that we should target a feature release which we'll call 0.8.0 for now for
a mid January timeframe.

So, discussion points:

1. Should we move forward with the 0.7.0 release once the CHANGES file is
updated?
2. Thoughts on holding the pac4j provider out until an early 2016 release
when the main usecases are better defined and tested?

thanks,

--larry

Re: [DISCUSS] Preparing for 0.7.0 Release

Posted by Dilli Dorai <di...@gmail.com>.
Vow.
A lot of cool and major features have been done.
Definitely time for release mile stone.
Thanks
Dilli

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
errr - rc1 that is...

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
Great!

We can start a VOTE for releasing rc0 then?

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Kevin!

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Kevin Minder <kevin.minder@hortonworks.com