Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Joan Touzet <jo...@atypical.net> on 2019/10/11 17:08:38 UTC

Packaging/Docker update: CentOS 8, arm64v8, ppc64le

Hello everyone,

A few changes have been quietly pushed to the binary package and Docker
repositories over the past week:

* CentOS 8 packages are now available in the usual place.
* Debian stretch packages for arm64v8 and ppc64le are also in the
  usual place (and were required to build the Docker containers).
* The apache/couchdb:2.3.1 Docker image now has arm64v8 and ppc64le
  variants.

The Docker images need testing on *real* hardware, and preferably
with *real* workloads. If you are in a position to do that, please leave
your test results here:

   https://github.com/apache/couchdb-docker/pull/157

Getting positive confirmation is necessary to prepare the PR against
downstream to push these changes into the top-level "couchdb" image.

I want to quote something from the PR here because I feel very strongly
about it:

*************

Note: "Support" is defined by us running those machines in our CI
infrastructure regularly. This is true today for arm64v8 (aka aarch64)
and is about to be true for ppc64le. I feel very strongly that it is
irresponsible to add another architecture to this image, or to the
downstream Docker top-level couchdb image, without regular CI occurring.
You can revisit that decision after I eventually leave the CouchDB
project, but know that it'll be with my disappointment. ;)

*************

-Joan "remember, I'm a volunteer" Touzet

Re: Packaging/Docker update: CentOS 8, arm64v8, ppc64le

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Hello,

It has been 13 days and not a single person has commented on the ppc64le
or arm64v8 Docker containers or binary packages.

I am starting to think no one actually cares about these builds, and
that ARM / IBM only pushed for these builds to be available for
publicity reasons, not because they have actual use cases in these spaces.

Prove me wrong. Post your test results here:

   https://github.com/apache/couchdb-docker/pull/157

This is gating addition of these platforms to the top-level "couchdb"
Docker image.

-Joan