Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/28 23:27:16 UTC

how can I figure out if tomcat is blocking and needs more threads? production tomcat monitoring tips.

While benchmarking, I want to know if/when tomcat requires more threads
(maxThreads).

How can I figure this out?

i.e. I start benchmarking tomcat to see how it reacts to a high-traffic
spike, I want to make sure that tomcat isn't hitting the maxThreads when my
server has the ability resource wise.

Would jconsole be the only way?  Or will tomcat write to a log file also?
(so in a production setting I can scan my logs for these sort of
performance metrics etc.)

For production environments, how do you guys monitor tomcat? (for OOM,
hitting maxthreads limit, long GC cycles, etc.)

Re: how can I figure out if tomcat is blocking and needs more threads? production tomcat monitoring tips.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 28/12/2011 22:27, S Ahmed wrote:
> While benchmarking, I want to know if/when tomcat requires more threads
> (maxThreads).
>
> How can I figure this out?

Look in the logs. Tomcat reports the first time (and only the first
time) it hits maxThreads.

Mark