Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/04 10:18:07 UTC

[FlexJS] Need your help testing the flexjs npm module

Hi folks,

I now have the flexjs npm module working fine on Windows (Cygiwn) and Mac
OSX. Once again, here are the steps to test:

   1. If you don't have Node and/or npm installed, first install it
      - Windows: Use the Installer from https://nodejs.org.  Ensure that
      you select the 'npm package manager' option during installation. Use
      the Command Prompt here on.
      - Mac: Run *brew install node* from the terminal
   2. Make sure npm is available by running *npm -v*
   3. Run *npm cache clear*
   4. Now run *npm install
   -g http://bigosmallm.github.io/flexjs/npm/flexjs-0.5.0.tgz
   <http://bigosmallm.github.io/flexjs/npm/flexjs-0.5.0.tgz>*  (It takes a
   while to download all the dependencies and there are a couple of prompts
   you need to answer)
   This will install the entire FlexJS SDK and register asjsc and asjscompc
   as global binaries.
   5. Now run *asjsc <*your_actionscript_file_name.as*>*
   On windows, try this:
   asjsc
   "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\flexjs\examples\native\USStatesMap\src\USStatesMap.as"
   On OSX, try this:
   asjsc
   /usr/local/lib/node_modules/flexjs/examples/native/USStatesMap/src/USStatesMap.as
   You should see the ActionScript file getting compiled to Javascript
   files in the folder ...\USStatesMap\bin

Everyone, please do try these steps and report your results.  We would like
to publish this as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Om

Re: [FlexJS] Need your help testing the flexjs npm module

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I looked it up.  To clear cache you have to run "npm cache clear".

I had to use sudo for all commands, and now it works!  Way to go Om!

-Alex

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That might be tricky. Maybe you could register a Node script instead.

This might work.  I will try it out.

> It
> might be able to tell if it's running in cmd/PowerShell versus Cygwin. Then
> it can choose to run either asjsc or asjsc.bat.
>
> I'm pretty sure that Windows will run asjsc.bat even if you omit the .bat
> extension, if you run it directly from cmd/PowerShell. However, I wonder if
> there's a difference because it's being run indirectly through Node.

Yeah, it's looking for sh.exe in some wrong location.  Which is the cause
of the 'The system cannot find the path specified.' error message.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
That might be tricky. Maybe you could register a Node script instead. It

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OK <OK...@edscha.com>.
OmPrakash Muppirala wrote

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 12:29 AM, OK <OK...@edscha.com> wrote:

> OmPrakash Muppirala wrote
> > Are you using the command prompt or Cygwin?
>
> Command prompt. Is Cygwin needed or a better way?

Not necessarily.  I have Cygwin installed and it seems to work fine.  I
have not been able to test without Cygwin.  If we can use FlexJS on Windows
without Cygwin, that would be a big win.

What error do you get when you simply try to run asjsc without the full
path on Command Prompt?

> OmPrakash Muppirala wrote
> > I don't think mxmlc is supposed to work with this project.  We are having
> > lengthy discussion about this in another thread.  Try compiling any
> > project
> > under examples/flexjs with mxmlc.  Projects under examples/native will
> > work
> > fine with asjsc.
>
> I only followed your instructions like a monkey: ;-)

Not your fault.  The instructions were incorrect :-)

> OmPrakash Muppirala wrote
> > Windows:
> > mxmlc
> >
> "C:\Users\omuppirala\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\flexjs\examples\native\USStatesMap\src\USStatesMap.as"
>
> Just tested "examples/flexjs/DataBindingExample" and it works, great!

Awesome!

> OmPrakash Muppirala wrote
> > Not sure how to test this at this point.  Once we resolve the discussion
> > in
> > that other thread, we should be able to make progress on this use case.
>
> Probably we talk past each other.
> I'd like to simply call the generated .js file in a browser.
> I looked at the generated "examples/flexjs/DataBindingExample/index.html"
> and modify it.
> And this works for me, so the asjsc test is successful also:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
> <head>
>

> </head>

That's perfect. We are discussing if we should have asjsc generate this
simple html file by default so that newcomers like you have a better first
impression and an easier starting point with FlexJS.

> One last, perhaps stupid question:
> Is there a difference between the FlexJS installation that is installed by
> using the standard installer respectively your node module?

Techinically, there should be no difference.  They should exactly be the
same.  If there are differences, they would be considered bugs.  I have not
ported over the IDE based stuff from the Installer because this is intended
only for command prompt usage via node/npm.

> At least your node module encourage me to get in touch with FlexJS for the
> first time!
> Thanks for that and for providing this cool node module!!!

That is great to hear.  That is exactly the idea.  Installing via the
Apache Flex Installer seems like a cumbersome way to introduce newcomers to
FlexJS.  And managing projects using npm seems to be the in thing in the
JavaScript world today.  Hence this attempt :-)

Thanks again for trying this out!

Regards,
Om

Posted by OK <OK...@edscha.com>.
OmPrakash Muppirala wrote

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 12:45 PM, OK <OK...@edscha.com> wrote:

> I've tried asjsc and mxmlc:
>
> Here're my observations:
> - I have to provide the full path to asjsc/mxmlc although I've used -g.
> (I've used an already installed node.js version 5.2.0, windows 7, 64bit)

Are you using the command prompt or Cygwin?

> -asjsc works, it successfully creates \bin\js-release\USStatesMap.js, but
> the log contains 8 warnings
> -mxmlc throws a couple of errors and doesn't produce any result, see the
> console log at the end

I don't think mxmlc is supposed to work with this project.  We are having a
lengthy discussion about this in another thread.  Try compiling any project
under examples/flexjs with mxmlc.  Projects under examples/native will work
fine with asjsc.

> I've no experiene with FlexJS, how can I test the USStatesMap.js?
> I've tried to include it in a html file and call the start() function
> (<body
> "onLoad=start()" >) but nothing happens.

Not sure how to test this at this point.  Once we resolve the discussion in
that other thread, we should be able to make progress on this use case.

Thanks for testing!

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Done!  Added mxmlc support which correctly outputs the html files as well.

(There is a bug in the mxmlc script that I had to fix, I will open a new
thread about that)

Try this to get mxmlc to work with npm:

*npm uninstall flexjs -g*
*npm uninstall flexjs*
*npm cache clear*
npm install -g http://bigosmallm.github.io/flexjs/npm/flexjs-0.5.0.tgz

Windows:
mxmlc
"C:\Users\omuppirala\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\flexjs\examples\native\USStatesMap\src\USStatesMap.as"

OSX:
mxmlc /usr/local/lib/node_modules/flexjs/examples/native/
USStatesMap/src/USStatesMap.as

You should see a working index.html in ...USStatesMap/bin/

Thanks,
Om

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
OK. That did it.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Yes. That was the problem.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 4, 2016 11:30 AM, "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One comment: "Downloading Apache Falcon" is not correct. Falcon is a
separate Apache project. It should be Apache Flex Falcon Compiler.

Good catch.   I will fix that.

> I tried installing and it does not look like it worked for me.
>
> Here’s the output at the end of the install:
>
> request@2.67.0 node_modules/flexjs/node_modules/request ->
node_modules/request
> /Users/harbs
> └─┬ flexjs@0.5.0
>   ├─┬ replace@0.3.0
>   │ ├── colors@0.5.1
>   │ └─┬ nomnom@1.6.2
>   │   └── colors@0.5.1
>   └─┬ unzip@0.1.11
>     ├─┬ match-stream@0.0.2
>     │ └── readable-stream@1.0.33
>     ├─┬ pullstream@0.4.1
>     │ ├── readable-stream@1.0.33
>     │ └─┬ slice-stream@1.0.0
>     │   └── readable-stream@1.0.33
>     └── readable-stream@1.0.33
>
> npm WARN ENOENT ENOENT: no such file or directory, open
'/Users/harbs/package.json'
> npm WARN EPACKAGEJSON harbs No description
> npm WARN EPACKAGEJSON harbs No repository field.
> npm WARN EPACKAGEJSON harbs No README data
> npm WARN EPACKAGEJSON harbs No license field.
>
> and I get asjsc not found when I try to run the command.
>
> FWIW, I do have flexjs inside node_modules in my User account.

Looks like you did not do a -g when you did the install.  Can you double
check?

Here are the steps for a complete reset:

*npm uninstall flexjs *{No -g here because you installed it locally}
*npm cache clear*

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Didn't notice that, but yes, it should be "Downloading Apache Flex Falcon
Compiler"

Also, for me on Mac in Terminal, the cursor position when asking for "y"
or "n" in the license acceptance was in a funky place.  I think it may be
because the Terminal window was scrolling the output or was an unexpected
size.

-Alex

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Judging by the package.json warning, it looks like you are installing it
locally instead of globally. When you install locally, npm thinks that
you're trying to add it as a dependency for a specific project, so it looks
for a package.json file in the current directory.

Executables won't be added to the system path unless you install it
globally. To do that, you need the -g flag:

npm install -g

Then, you can use asjsc without its full path.

- Josh

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Carlos Rovira <
carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com> wrote:

> Hi Just tryed on Mac.
>
> Since the last time I had problems with node and npm, I first removed the
> installation and reinstalled with this solution to avoid use of sudo
> https://gist.github.com/DanHerbert/9520689
>
> I then reinstalled (I have npm 3.5.2 installed) and all seems to install
> ok.
>
> Then I had problems with the last step. As I write: asjsc
> /usr/local/lib/node_modules/
>
> here there's no flexjs folder :?
>
> Maybe is located in other place?
>
> Thanks!

Hmm..  What are the commands you used to install?
Can you try this?

*npm uninstall flexjs -g*
*npm uninstall flexjs*
*npm cache clear*
npm install -g http://bigosmallm.github.io/flexjs/npm/flexjs-0.5.0.tgz

Please post as much as possible from the console log.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Just tryed on Mac.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Matthias,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Matthias Bode <ma...@mat3d.com> wrote:

> Hello All ,
>
> i am new to the Group ... and i just checked out the Linux version .....
> the flexJS Stuff looks pretty awesome cool and neat .... you are gr8 ....
> are you testing on Linux ?? - or is the flexJS a Linux matter - no ??

I haven't tried it on Linux, but it looks like it should work fine.  Have
you tried it?

> Is there a TroubleShoot List/Rider where all the current Error´s in the
> Linuxversion are listed ??
> Since you asked the Community for help ... in the Repository Readme.MD..

I am sorry, I am not sure I understand.  Are there errors when you run on
Linux?

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Matthias Bode <ma...@mat3d.com>.
Hello All ,

--
[>mat3d<]

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Oh right,  forgot about that.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
If you use js/bin/mxmlc instead of js/bin/asjsc, it will generate an HTML
file. asjsc generates only JavaScript so that you can integrate it into
your own custom HTML.

- Josh

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.